Ultrasonic Insect Repelling Devices

Jun

Ultrasonic Insect Repelling Devices

Post by Jun »

I've just purchased an ultrasonic insect repelling device. Are these things actually effective against mosquitoes?

The device is tiny & therefore fits my luggage easily, is presumably non-toxic & cost only 5 Euros.
penguin

Re: Ultrasonic Insect Repelling Devices

Post by penguin »

The NHS travel site states, with regard to mosquitos, that " ... ultrasound devices do not prevent bites."

So, having one of these things plugged in where you are sleeping will not stop any mosquitos present from biting you, as a repellent sprayed on the skin should. But they may keep some of them out of your room.

I've used them before, as a sort of "can't do any harm" kind of thing. But I haven't relied on them, and I use sprays as well - on bedclothes as well as on me.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I use the ARS MAT 12 electric mosquito repeller and it works well. It keeps the mosquitoes away so there is no need for sprays.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Another solution is to stay on a high level floor, if available. Mosquitoes tend not to go higher than about the 7th floor. Sometimes they may be carried up by the wind, but the higher you are, the fewer mosquitoes there will be.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:Another solution is to stay on a high level floor, if available. Mosquitoes tend not to go higher than about the 7th floor. Sometimes they may be carried up by the wind, but the higher you are, the fewer mosquitoes there will be.
Mosquitoes clearly have a greater tolerance for heights than me.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Mosquitoes not going above 7th floor is a myth. I live on the 10th floor and get plenty if I don't use my device. I know a guy who lives on the 18th floor and he has the same problem.
Khortose

Post by Khortose »

If you have an IPhone they is an anti mosquito ultrasonic app that appears to work, as I have watered my lawn surrounded by mosquitoes and not been bitten.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

beachlover wrote:True... I've spent plenty of time in the presence of mosquitoes over 10 floors up.
Hmmmmm, I guess the mosquitoes didn't see the same National Geographic, or whatever it was, that I did. Bad! Bad mosquito! Bad!
Jun

Post by Jun »

lvdkeyes wrote:I use the ARS MAT 12 electric mosquito repeller and it works well. It keeps the mosquitoes away so there is no need for sprays.
From the picture, isn't this one of these devices that heats up a tablet, therefore giving off chemicals in the same way a spray might?

I have a something similar that's ineffective, although I guess if you buy the right model & right tablets, it should do the job better than mine.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

You are right about the device using pads; it probably does give off chemicals, but it is completely odorless.