Patricia Nell Warren, writer of “The Front Runner, Dies

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
windwalker

Patricia Nell Warren, writer of “The Front Runner, Dies

Post by windwalker »

Patricia Nell Warren who wrote the 1974 gay novel, The Front Runner dies at 82.
I remember reading the Front Runner back then and was impressed with the book. Here is her obit from the NY Times:

Patricia Nell Warren, whose 1974 novel, “The Front Runner,” was one of the first widely popular books to feature an open romantic relationship between two men, becoming a literary touchstone for many, died on Feb. 9 in Santa Monica, Calif. She was 82.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/15/obit ... -dies.html
Undaunted

Re: Patricia Nell Warren, writer of “The Front Runner, Dies

Post by Undaunted »

I also read it and shortly after it was published there was talk of a movie being made sadly nothing became of it.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Re: Patricia Nell Warren, writer of “The Front Runner, Dies

Post by fountainhall »

I regret I had never heard of either Patricia Neil Warren or "The Front Runner". Perhaps it took some time before it was published in the UK.

One novel which I devoured at school was "Special Friendships" by the French author Roger Peyrefitte whose books on homosexuality scandalised France. "Special Friendships" (for a time it was published in the USA under the title "Secret Friendships") is not about a mature love affair but one that takes place in a French Catholic Boarding School for boys with both boys and priests part of the mix. As one reviewer wrote: "The book is really about how a shallow, manipulative young man learns the meaning of love through the experience of tragedy." What makes it 'special' is the quality of the writing - superb.