No LGBT rights for Malaysia

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

No LGBT rights for Malaysia

Post by Gaybutton »

Mahathir: Malaysia 'won't accept' LGBT rights

26 Oct 2018

Malaysian leader Mahathir Mohamad on Thursday said his country cannot accept LGBT rights such as same-sex marriage, dismissing them as "western" values.

The blunt remarks come against a backdrop of what activists say is a growing intolerance towards the LGBT community in Malaysia.

"At this moment, we do not accept LGBT but if they (the West) want to accept, that is their business. Don't force it on us," the 93-year-old told a packed audience at Chulalongkorn University during the second day of his state visit to Thailand.

"The institution of marriage, the institution of the family has now been disregarded in the West. Why should we follow that? Our value system is as good," he added.

"If they (the West) one day decided to walk around naked, do we have to follow?"

Malaysia operates on a dual track legal system that gives Islamic courts the right to handle religious and family matters for Muslim citizens, who make up more than 60 per cent of the population.

Islamic laws are also overseen by individual states in Malaysia.

Mahathir, who returned to the premiership this year after a surprise victory in national elections in May, rode to victory based on widespread frustration with corruption in Malaysia.

But the popular campaign to root out government malfeasance has overshadowed some of his controversial statements on LGBT rights and Jewish people, whom he has called "hook-nosed".

Malaysia's Islamic Affairs minister has previously spoken out against homosexuals, and in September Mahathir said same-sex unions were not suitable for Malaysia, which he doubled down on in his comments in Bangkok.

"For example in the west now, men marry men, women marry women, and then the family is not made up of father, mother and child, but it's two men adopting one child from somebody," he said Thursday during the Q&A.

"They call themselves a family."

Despite his stance Mahathir recently denounced the caning of two women accused of having lesbian sex in Malaysia.

It was the first time women have been caned for same-sex relations in Malaysia, according to campaigners, heightening fears among the country's LGBT community.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asean/ ... gbt-rights
fountainhall

Re: No LGBT rights for Malaysia

Post by fountainhall »

Mahatir and Malaysia in general have traditionally spoken out against the LGBT community and happily cite the old British colonial law Section 377 of the criminal code to ensure their views prevail. I have heard recently of occasional raids on gay venues but I believe nothing much happens and cases involving gays rarely are taken to court. I was in Kuala Lumpur for three days last weekend and can confirm the apps are where the action is. They were very active.

I was surprised to get hits from several Malay guys claiming to be 19. That in a Muslim-dominated country for me is a definite no-no as I believe the Muslims can actually face punishment from Islamic courts in certain states whereas Chinese are usually left alone.

My guess is that when 93 year old Mahatir steps down in 18 months - assuming he is true to his word - and his one time arch-enemy Anwar Ibrahim takes over, the government will start to take a more relaxed attitude to the gay community.