Are you gay enough to get asylum in Austria?

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
tree

Are you gay enough to get asylum in Austria?

Post by tree »

There are real professionals at work at the Federal Office for Aliens and Asylum in Austria (BFA):

1) This year a gay teenager from Afghanistan has been rejected for Asylum in Austria.
Why? He was not girlish enough!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -to-be-gay
“The way you walk, act or dress does not show even in the slightest that you could be homosexual,” the official reportedly wrote in his assessment rejecting the claim.

The official also found “potential for aggression”, which “wouldn’t be expected from a homosexual”, because the man fought with others in the accommodation where he was being housed.

He reportedly had few friends and liked spending time alone or in small groups, leading the official to question in his report: “Aren’t homosexuals rather social?”

The official rejected the statement that the Afghan teenager had kissed straight men, saying he would have been beaten if he had done so, the Falter reported.

2) A week later another gay man has been rejected for Asylum.
Why? He was too girlish!

https://gcn.ie/austria-asylum-seeker-girlish-gay/
The 27 year-old Iraqi man, well known as an active member in local LGBT+ groups, was refused by authorities who said his claim was “unbelievable”. The man had fled his home country in fear for his life but it was deemed he was too “stereotypical” to be actually gay. The report stated he displayed “excessive girlish behaviour”.
The reasoning is highly unprofessional, but it leaves the question: How do you verify that someone is gay, without violating human dignity?
thewayhelooks

Re: Are you gay enough to get asylum in Austria?

Post by thewayhelooks »

“potential for aggression”, which “wouldn’t be expected from a homosexual”
Obviously never seen a drag queen in full attack mode against stupid straights.

Hope no trans people try to settle in Austria. Rejected because they are not trans enough or some such nonsense.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

That has to be the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard of for rejecting asylum. I'm wondering if this sort of stereotyping is a matter of official policy or merely the whim of the individual officer.

I'm also wondering if Austria says they accept gays applying for asylum if they come from a country that puts their lives in danger because of their sexual preference, or if it's just a lot of bullshit for the sake of appearances, but in reality don't want gays coming there at all.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I abhor what Austria is doing. But we should remember that it is not just gays who the authorities in Austria are singling out. Partly through the influence of the hard right which has made major political gains in recent years, attitudes in that country have consistently hardened against all refugees. More than two years ago, the country passed what has been described as almost the toughest anti-refugee policy in Europe. It is also doing what Trump has so far failed to do - build its version of a wall at what it considers sensitive points on its border..

Gauri van Gulik, Amnesty International's deputy director for Europe and Central Asia, said these laws are "a glaring attempt to keep people out of Austria and its asylum system."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:these laws are "a glaring attempt to keep people out of Austria and its asylum system."
If that's the case, why even have an asylum system?

What's going on with Austria? I hope it not late 1930s history repeating itself.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I do not know why this move to the right took place in Austria but it started quite a few years ago. It also seems to be trending over much of Europe now. Brexit was, I understand, largely a result of fear of continuing major immigration. Italy has moved sharply right in the recent election with immigration being top of that agenda. The European Commission has taken Hungary to court over its treatment of refugees. Although he did not start it, that snake Steve Bannon has been in Europe for some time urging right wing parties to adopt the Trump immigration agenda. And with Trump setting the example for the free world, does anyone believe this will change soon? I don't.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

In Europe in my opinion the move to the right began with the accession of Romania to the EU when the UK in particular was one of the few EU countries to allow Romanians immediate access.
Prior to this there had been a mixed reaction in the UK to Poles, Czechs etc coming.
Then came the big bang with the massive immigration of Syrian, Iraqi and Afgan refugees and economic migrants and Chancellor Merkel's well publicised if short lived opening of the borders.
Unfortunately the terrorist attacks in Europe always seem to be carried out by Muslims with a very small minority giving the majority a bad name and giving the parties of the right ammunition in their anti - immigrant stance.
Being born early post second world war it horrifies me to think where this is going to end.