David Bowie's Gay Lover and Choreographer Dies

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

David Bowie's Gay Lover and Choreographer Dies

Post by fountainhall »

Lindsay Kemp, one of the iconic figures in dance and in the gay world, has died aged 80. In 1966 he met the 19-year old David Bowie after a performance at London's Royal Opera House. As Kemp was later quoted -
"He came to my dressing room and he was like the archangel Gabriel standing there, I was like Mary," he said.

"It was love at first sight."
For a short time they were lovers. Bowie started appearing in Kemp's shows but the choreographer's greatest gift to him was helping him create the Ziggy Stardust persona. Kemp also worked with singer Kate Bush teaching her to dance.

I saw Kemp only once in London in his production "Flowers" based on gay author Jean Genet's "Notre Dame des Fleurs". It was indelibly to link him to the gay movement and helped develop his worldwide fame. Kemo was no Nureyev. Ballet was not his thing. He developed a form of avant garde Contemporary Dance that was distinctly gay and combined mime, cabaret, dance and theatre.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45308468