State Sponsored Homophobia in Malaysai

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
thewayhelooks

State Sponsored Homophobia in Malaysai

Post by thewayhelooks »

In the early hours of last Saturday, the police and government officials raided a small nightclub in Kuala Lumpur.
The venue, Blue Boy, was known to be popular with the LGBT community, but for years had been relatively left alone by the authorities. Until the weekend. Twenty men were detained and ordered into counselling for “illicit behaviour” by the Federal Territory Islamic Religious Department of Malaysia.
Government minister Khalid Samad later released a statement on the motivations behind the raid. “Hopefully this initiative can mitigate the LGBT culture from spreading into our society,” he said.
It sent a clear signal to the LGBT community. Thilaga Sulathireh, co-founder of trans rights group Justice For Sisters, says: “We are under attack in an unprecedented way.”
 Just two days before the raid, a trans woman was brutally beaten on the street in Seremban while seven others watched. The attack left her with broken ribs, a broken backbone and a ruptured spleen.
In the same week, a sharia court ordered a lesbian couple to be caned after they were caught having sex in a car, the first time in years such a punishment had been handed out in Malaysia. The judge said it was “a lesson and reminder to not just the two of you, but the members of society”.

From today's Guardian. The full story here.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/a ... -crackdown
fountainhall

Re: State Sponsored Homophobia in Malaysai

Post by fountainhall »

The crackdown in Malaysia has been relatively slow but certainly sure and steady. I have heard of raids on saunas before but never on Blue Boy. It seemed to be the one evening venue that was immune. Not any more. I will be in KL in a couple of months. Like last year, I will depend on the apps.

It's important to realise, though, that Shariah Law is practised only in a few states. It is not the law in Kuala Lumpur.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Shariah "law", might not be practised in KL, however they are raiding bars like Blue Boy, which I have visited. This must mean the sauna around the corner is not safe either.

This may be an obvious venue on a visit to KL, perhaps it is time to take our tourist cash somewhere else for a couple of years.
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

I guess they need a scapegoat for something? It's really sickening how this disease is spreading in the local area between Indonesia and Malaysia. Singapore isn't religious so they're not raiding anyone but they still have plenty of discrimination to deal with. I see so many Indonesian and Malaysian guys on Blued. I worry for them.