Gay Themed Movie Recommendations

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
RichLB

Gay Themed Movie Recommendations

Post by RichLB »

Having waded through countless cliche ridden gay movies, I have also discovered some gems that I really love. I'm curious what other gay themed movies users here have found that they feel really stand out. My current number one is Love, Simon. Read about it on IMDB:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5164432/
fountainhall

Re: Gay Themed Movie Recommendations

Post by fountainhall »

One of my favorites, as I believe it was also on Smiles’ list in another thread, is Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai’s “Happy Together” with the late Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung who travel to the Iguazu Falls in a vain attempt to rekindle their former love for each other. It is grim, gritty and no pretty love story, but it captures the essence of the love they once shared even though the ending is not what they expect,

I also really like another less lovey-dovey movie from a first-time gay Korean Director ‘No Regrets”. This is the story of a young orphan who has to leave the orphanage when he reaches the age of 18. He takes on 2 jobs and meets an older gay guy from a wealthy family. Their lives become entwined but the orphan ends working in a host bar. The movie has the usual mother finds out scene and insisting her son gets a married. It’s gritty and realistic, and love wins out!