Fukuoka becomes 7th Japanese City to Recognise Same-Sex Partnerships

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Fukuoka becomes 7th Japanese City to Recognise Same-Sex Partnerships

Post by fountainhall »

It may not be the same recognition as in other countries which have legalised same-sex Unions, but for Japan it is a big move. Gays amongst Fukuoka's 1,5 million gay citizens will be now be provided with documentation making it easier for the LGBT community to rent housing as a couple and for one partner to give medical consent at the city's hospitals. With seven cities and/or city wards having taken the same course, it is believed that more cities will eventually follow suit. In socially conservative Japan, this is progress.

It follows a decree last month by the Japanese Ministry of Health warning owners of hotels and inns not refuse guests on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Gaybutton

Re: Fukuoka becomes 7th Japanese City to Recognise Same-Sex Partnerships

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm glad to know this, but I would have thought it would be a nationwide recognition as opposed to city by city. As far as I know, Japan is the only country to do it this way, but I'm glad it is being done at all.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I don't think there could ever be a nationwide consensus on LGBT rights in a country like Japan. City by city is at least a positive start. And this is exactly how it started in Taiwan where from next year a gay marriage law will be adopted.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I don't think there could ever be a nationwide consensus on LGBT rights in a country like Japan.
Admitting my ignorance, my next question is why?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Historically Japan has been a nation of hierarchical communities bound together by allegiance to local landlords. They in turn and on a larger scale to the Emperors or for 260 years to the Shoguns. It is also a country where even today the family and the various other groups in the community are of far greater importance than the individual. Add to that the fact that private feelings are rarely expressed in public and it becomes extremely difficult to reach a consensus where private emotions are concerned. Harmony within a group is of almost paramount importance. Members of the LGBT community have generally been regarded as square pegs. This was true even when I first started visiting Japan 38 years ago.

Even so, there has rarely been any opposition to the LGBT community. There is a general acceptance that some people are gay and that's fine as long as they don't upset the social conventions. But unlike Taiwan no local or national political parties have promoted greater LGBT rights. So it has been up to individuals to motivate city councils of the need for improvements. Thus in Tokyo the municipal wards of Shibuya and Setagaya have passed new local LGBT laws but the other 21 are still sitting on the sidelines.