Malaysian Newspaper Publishes “How to Spot Gays” Checklist

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Malaysian Newspaper Publishes “How to Spot Gays” Checklist

Post by fountainhall »

The news of anti-gay moves by official national and local government bodies in Indonesia has grown significantly in the last 2 years. Increasingly, though, the government, religious bodies and individuals in our neighbour Malaysia have also been turning the screws.

Last year an 18-year old student was beaten and burned to death by classmates who said he was a pondan, a colloquial term for a gay man. A 27-year old transgender woman was also attacked with a knife and shot three times three months later.

Now a leading newspaper has published a list purporting to advise readers how to identify potential gay and lesbian people. The stand-out attributes for men are said to be their love of beards (what??), going to the gym not for exercise but to cruise, and branded clothing. Also “their eyes light up when they see handsome men!”

Given that many Muslim clerics and believers wear beards, the first indicator is clearly a piece of nonsense. But it all adds to a growing homophobic rhetoric in a country where the leaders of the Muslim majority are warning that homosexuality is on the increase and there is an urgent need to stop the trend.
Homophobic rhetoric is also evident even in government discourse. The country’s deputy interior minister attacked Walt Disney last year for refusing to cut a gay scene in Beauty and the Beast at the request of the Malaysian censorship board, and a Malaysian health ministry youth video competition called for entries discussing the prevention and consequences of being gay, lesbian or transgender.

Another article on the health ministry’s website, entitled “Why would a person be lesbian?” states that potential causes of women being gay were their decisions to prioritise their careers and believing other women were the only ones who would understand.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -checklist
Captain Kirk

Re: Malaysian Newspaper Publishes “How to Spot Gays” Checklist

Post by Captain Kirk »

Duly crossed off the visit list.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote:Duly crossed off the visit list.
And mine.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Going against the points made in my OP, I was in Kuala Lumpur for 6 days almost a year ago. I did not have to go to any gay venue because the apps were buzzing. Three very nice guys came to my hotel - one twice, and a good time was had by all. No money or even pubic transport fares requested. Oh, and none had a beard :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:the apps were buzzing.
Be that as it may, when a government takes an official anti-gay stance, that's one country I, for one, have no intention of visiting or spending money in.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Captain Kirk wrote:Duly crossed off the visit list.
And mine as well
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have other reasons for visiting Kuala Lumpur and so will continue to do so. The same is true of Singapore where the notorious British Colonial anti-gay Section 377A remains in its Penal Code thus making homosexual behaviour illegal - although the present PM has said the government will no longer use it. Gay activists have tried to have it repealed. The answer always is that Singapore society would not accept a change. Funny, that was the argument the British colonial administrators of Hong Kong always trotted out for decades until it was finally forced to change the law in 1991.

As a holiday destination, though, both Malaysia and Singapore are off my list, joining Indonesia and Brunei (where Sharia law and stoning is now applicable for gay behaviour).