Taipei Gay Pride 2017

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Taipei Gay Pride 2017

Post by fountainhall »

The Pride Parade took place this afternoon. As usual it was a fantastic event with a vast number of guys (and a smaller number of gals) taking part, many aggressively cute and from many countries. There was even one float from Beijing's most famous Gay club, Destination. I am really sorry that I cannot post photos yet as I am staying in Taipei for another 8 days. I will post as soon as I get back to Bangkok. Hopefully another member can be more efficient than I!

When I arrived yesterday afternoon, the weather signs were ominous. Taipei has had a bad year with lots of rain and the forecast was for more raIn today. Relaxing at one of the hot springs yesterday evening, the rain started in earnest around 8:00 pm. This morning was cloudy, but by the time the Parade was about to start the sun finally broke through. It was still a lot cooler than for most of the Parades I have attended and so there was no Speedo/Aqux contingent that I could see - sadly. But there were some guys in various states of undress and, as always, stunning eye candy wherever you looked!

By my very rough estimate there seemed more than last year's 82,000. It also seemed a lot more fun, perhaps because of the brighter weather and the absence of rain.
Gaybutton

Re: Taipei Gay Pride 2017

Post by Gaybutton »

Based on your post and the weather, I'm guessing the 2017 parade was similar to the 2016 parade.

Here is a video of the 2016 parade.

Looking forward to your pics.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The Parade was not quite the same as 2016 if only because the rain kept off whereas last year it started half way through leading to quite a number of participants dropping out before the party at the end. Initial estimates put the numbers marching in this year's Parade at between 110,000 and 123,000 - a huge increase over last year's 82,000. For the first time, it was split into three routes rather than two. Since it takes place on city streets, this is no doubt inevitable. But it's a pity that everyone could not march together.

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201710280029.aspx
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Look forward to those photos when you can fountainhall. Thanks for the report. Maybe not ideal weather for ogling but good for hot springs. After the broiling summer this past season this weekend's weather is most welcome! Enjoy the rest of your trip!
aussie

Post by aussie »

My photos from the Taipei gay parade 2017.

The Red House bars Friday night
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you very much, Aussie. I know many of us appreciate you taking the time to post those excellent photos.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Excellent photos aussie. I wish my phone took such great pics! Looks like we may have been in the same group.
aussie

Post by aussie »

fountainhall wrote:Excellent photos aussie. I wish my phone took such great pics! Looks like we may have been in the same group.
The Sony Z3+ is a few years old now but the camera takes good photos in most conditions. I found an elevated position close to the Chiang Kai-sheck memorial hall and watched the purple line pass by. I am not sure if i will be returning to Taiwan next year so hopefully you will keep attending to provide some photos of the parade.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Marvelous photos aussie! Many thanks! Hope you do make it back next year.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Now that I am back in Bangkok I can add some more photos to those aussie posted the day after the Parade. It seems we followed the same of the three routes but I have tried to avoid scenes similar to those he posted. I found it a really fun day – the best since the first two I attended in 2011 and 2012. The really fun part is that it is not only young gay guys and gals who take part, although they form the bulk of the Parade. All ages were represented including straight couples with young children. There was a section for the physically impaired in wheelchairs and another for those who are HIV positive and not afraid or ashamed for that to be known publicly.

There was some commercial representation from a few of the gay bars, Hornet, Blued and others. By and large, though, what makes Taipei stand out is not its huge numbers or its diversity. It is that this Parade is for ordinary gay people who proudly and openly come together to celebrate their lifestyle. With the Bangkok Pride Parade coming up I believe in January, I fear that this cannot happen here. The Thai gay community is too fragmented and too afraid of the social and work-related repercussions if they are seen to be openly gay. So it is likely that as it was in the early 2000s, the Bangkok Parade will be mostly restricted to a series of floats, ladyboys and commercial gay guys. I sincerely hope I am wrong.