Should Transgender be Part of LGBT Community

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Undaunted

Should Transgender be Part of LGBT Community

Post by Undaunted »

I had a chat with a friend and he was speaking about transgender in the military I said they should not be lumped together with gay men or women but rather a group unto themselves.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Should Transgender be Part of LGBT Community

Post by Gaybutton »

My feeling is different. I never liked the idea of labeling sexual orientation at all. Why should someone be labeled as gay, lesbian, transgender, straight, or anything else? I prefer to simply think of them as people. I see no reason why the military can't do the same.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote:Why should someone be labeled as gay, lesbian, transgender, straight, or anything else. I prefer to simply think of them as people. I see no reason why the military can't do the same.
In fairness to the military, they are resisting Trump's tweet and say they will not comply unless compelled to do so.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:My feeling is different. I never liked the idea of labeling sexual orientation at all. Why should someone be labeled as gay, lesbian, transgender, straight, or anything else. I prefer to simply think of them as people. I see no reason why the military can't do the same.
I agree entirely on the gay & lesbian matter.

However, when it comes to public facilities, there is sometimes segregation by sex into male & female. It follows that transgender people require some specific consideration here. For me, it should be simply decided by what equipment remains in place down there. Apparently not all see it like that.

Also, I certainly don't see myself as having any specific affinity to transgender people just because I'm gay.
Also, I don't see myself as part of any community that includes transgender & excludes straight males.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

No. And women should stay out of gay bars.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thewayhelooks wrote:No. And women should stay out of gay bars.
That used to be the norm before the go go bars joined the must see list for Chinese tourists.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

What about old people. Don't want no old people around here.....And,

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Re the Chinese, views have clearly changed since Monty Python's famous 1980 song.

The vdo was made at the 2014 reunion in London's O2 arena but when the song was originally recorded the lyrics started -

I like Chinese
I like Chinese
They only come up to your knees
Yet they're always friendly and they're ready to please!

I like Chinese
I like Chinese
There's 900 million of them in the world today
You'd better learn to like them, that's what I say.

I like Chinese
I like Chinese
They come from a long way overseas
But they're cute and they're cuddly and they're ready to please.
Jun

Post by Jun »

thewayhelooks wrote:No. And women should stay out of gay bars.
Whilst I would rather women stayed out of gay bars, particularly the noisy ones with their loud & horribly high pitched voices, we're getting into dangerous territory here.
1 Ban women from gay bars
2 Ban women from girlie gogo bars (except of course for the ones on stage)
3 Start boy gogo bars to attract female customers. Ban males from these, as the bars are from women.
4 Ban straight people from gay bars
5 Ban gay people from straight bars

I don't think it's a good direction.

Also, I don't actually recall being significantly inconvenienced by women in gogo bars. I don't actually go into places like Boyz Boyz Boyz, so that avoids some of the problem. There may have been one or 2 cases of their cackling spoiling a bar visit, but that's the limit of it. There are also quiet well behaved female customers, such as the rather nice Japanese quiet lady who was asking me about short time rooms whilst perusing the selection in Classic Boys.