Taiwan report April - May 2017

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
a447

Re: Taiwan report April - May 2017

Post by a447 »

The secret to being able to "survive" in such hot water is to lower yourself slowly into it and then, whatever you do, don't move! Stay perfectly still and you'll very quickly get used to it.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I am back in Australia now. Magnificent autumn weather here before i return to Malaysia and Thailand in June. The clean air and spring/autumn seasons are usually wonderful in my part of Australia, if only i had more access locally to the special attractions that are more easily found in Asia.

My last few days in Taipei were quiet. I have been to Taiwan about 12 times now so not too much sightseeing to do around Taipei anymore. My next visit will concentrate on the countryside and other cities in Taiwan where i now seem to be more popular with the local guys than Taipei. If you have never been to Taiwan i recommend at least one trip and definitely do a tour around the island and major cities.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

aussie wrote:If you have never been to Taiwan i recommend at least one trip and definitely do a tour around the island and major cities.
How long a trip do you recommend for a first timer? One week? Two weeks? More?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'm sure aussie won't mind my adding my 2 cents worth before he makes his suggestions.

Within Taipei itself, a minimum of 4 or 5 days will give you time to see the main attractions, a bar or two and the hot springs in the evening. If you want to add in some hook-ups from the apps (and who doesn't?), then the week-end is usually better for many of the guys and so I'd add a couple more days. So one week minimum.

A round-the-island tour which I wrote about on another forum a year ago is certainly well worth the time and money. I took an Edison Tours 5 day/4 night tour which provides accommmodation with buffet breakfasts in 5-star hotels and a full-time guide. This takes in many of the major sites and some of the cities. For one person the cost is NT$24,500 or around US$810. This may sound a lot but the quality of the hotels is excellent. The first one at Sun Moon Lake normally retails at around $400 per night!!

http://www.edison.com.tw/images/2016%20%205A-直客-英.pdf

You can of course do it for a lot less by using the west coast high speed rail and cheaper hotels. But you then have all the hassle of transfers, extra buses and you will certainly need to add at least 2 more days because the fascinating east coast with the stunning Taroko Gorge is less accessible. I wrote about that tour on another Board. I assume it's OK to post the link here -

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthrea ... -on-Taipei

The one problem with the official round-the-island Tours is that you don't get time to explore the other cities. For a first visit I don't think that is a problem. Much better to concentrate on Taipei and perhaps some of its interesting nearby sites.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Gaybutton wrote:
aussie wrote:If you have never been to Taiwan i recommend at least one trip and definitely do a tour around the island and major cities.
How long a trip do you recommend for a first timer? One week? Two weeks? More?
Fountainhall"s advise is the same as i would give. Probably twelve days is enough if you include a tour for your first trip to Taiwan. My first visit was two weeks and included meeting a 20yo university student arranged before i had arrived and he showed me most of the sightseeing around Taipei. He was the main reason i made so many trips back to Taiwan in the following two years. Having a local friend is the best way to go sightseeing but there are many tours available. Taxis park at Ximen walking street in the mornings with signboards showing reasonable prices for a full day tour to nearby places of interest. I did a fair bit of research and have caught buses and trains to national parks, climbed small mountains and done treks to view waterfalls alone but i prefer going with a friend.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I wrote about that tour on another Board. I assume it's OK to post the link here
Yes, of course. You don't have to refer to "another" board. You actually get to say the names of other boards and post any links that interest you.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

aussie wrote:
My next visit will concentrate on the countryside and other cities in Taiwan…
For museum people I would recommend Taichung. There is The National Museum of Natural Science, a world class museum with excellent exhibits and botanical gardens and green house:

http://www.nmns.edu.tw/index_eng.html

And The National Museum of Fine Arts which has rotating exhibits and displays of very fine paintings from very talented artists from Taiwan’s classic art period plus some modern art.

http://english.ntmofa.gov.tw/English/

Every year or so I take a weekend and visit these two museums and can spend the better part of a day at each.

Taipei has many good museums also from fine arts, modern art, science, etc. Everybody rushes to the National Palace Museum where all the art that was carried over from mainland China by CKS and co. is, but personally it does little for me. I’ve been there a couple, three times usually because someone is in town who wants to go but as others have reported it’s cramped with visiting mainlanders and unless you’re really into Chinese ceramics I’d give it a miss and take in some of the smaller and, to me, more interesting museums.

Glad you had another good trip aussie and thanks for the location of CJ’s. Must try it sometime.

Fountainhall, have a great trip and hope the rains let up for you.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Thanks. Sadly the incessant rain does make it more difficult to explore. I have been here in May the last two years and always had fine weather. 5 days of near continuous rain does tend to keep one indoors - even killed my first evening planned for the hot springs. Mind you, the restaurants and the apps have been keeping me pretty busy, although with last weekend being Mother's Day - a big deal here - the apps were less busy than usual! I just hope the rain eases because I have a couple of day trips I really hope to make before my 10 days are up.

Re Museums, have you been to the Taipei Museum of World Religions in the Yonghe District? Not a usual Museum subject but an interesting way to spend an hour or two.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

aussie, I have read so many trip reports and so many are less than interesting but yours are deffinatley in a class of thier own!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:the apps were less busy than usual
Which apps are your preferences when in Taipei?