Nanjing and Shanghai in 144 hours

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
aussie

Nanjing and Shanghai in 144 hours

Post by aussie »

There were some problems but I still enjoyed my second trip to China and in hindsight I should have planned things differently. My observations are hopefully looked upon as useful information for other travellers.

Recently I visited China using the 144 hour transit with no visa allowed if landing at Shanghai Pudong, Nanjing Lukou or Zhjiang Hangzhou airports. You can arrive or leave at any of these airports and travel in those three regions only. The rules are that you must fly in from country one, in my case South Korea and fly to a different country afterwards and I went to Thailand. The 144 hours starts at midnight after you arrive and you must leave before the 144 hours deadline after that time. I arrived in Nanjing on Tuesday April 11 and left from Shanghai on Monday April 17th . My advise is to arrive at Shanghai Pudong where they are more familiar with visa free processes or just get a visa to save a lot of stress and waiting time. Some of the airport staff at my airline at Seoul Incheon and immigration at Nanjing Lukou were mostly clueless about the 144 hour visa free process. A few times I thought I could have my plans for the next six days cancelled or changed.

I wanted to arrive in Nanjing mid week to visit the Memorial of the Nanjing Massacre, Purple Mountain and a promised meeting with a stunning Chinese twink that I have been chatting with for months. I succeeded with the first two but the stunner got a bit nervous about meeting a foreigner for the first time so I was very disappointed with his no show. I also wanted to spend the weekend in Shanghai with another friend that I met on my last visit there in 2016. That worked out very well, a great guy in every way and very happy to meet him again.

My travel problems started at the check in desk at Asiana Airlines at Seoul Incheon airport. I advised the lady that I would be travelling with no visa using the 144 hour visa free process. “Sorry sir, you have no visa, we cannot let you check in. Only 24 hour transit allowed in Nanjing.” Fortunately I had done my research and had all the paperwork about my flights, accommodation and the visa free rules with me. I asked her to call a manager to discuss the issue. Twenty minutes later a manger who spoke very good English arrived and said she would call Nanjing Lukou airport to check if I could travel. Thirty minutes later the manager returned and said “OK we will check you in”. I allowed four hours to get to Incheon airport and time for processing. Just as well as it takes eighty minutes on the bus to the airport and I just lost another fifty minutes checking in. There is a fast train to the airport but that meant getting a taxi to Seoul station or climbing stairs at the metro station with my luggage. The airport bus is more convenient and stopped on the main road near my hotel and only cost 10000 Won ($AU11).

I went directly to immigration and a departure stamp was soon in my passport, no problem there. It was time to board my flight and the girl looked at my passport and said “Where is your visa sir? You cannot fly without a visa.” Now with all the typing that I saw going into the computer at check in wouldn't you think they would have put in a message that it was ok for me to travel and alert the staff at the departure gate? Oh silly me, another call to management and I was wondering whether I should have ever made this plan which should be a straight forward process. Ten minutes later and I went from the first few to last to board the plane after getting another ok to travel. Ah success, all is good, I can relax. Not yet.

I could not have taken another airline as Korean Asiana was the only flight from Seoul Incheon to Nanjing Lukuo on that day. If I had my time again I would have landed at Shanghai but I probably will use a visa in any case next time to save all the time lost and stress at check in etc.

When we arrived at Nanjing I walked out the plane exit door to see a Asiana Airlines staff member with a sign with my name on it in large letters. Oh, what is next, maybe a free limo to my hotel for the problems at Incheon? After a brief welcome to Nanjing he said “Have you filled out this form already sir?” What form could that be I thought? No mention of any extra forms in my research. Apparently the check in staff should have given me the form in Seoul. The form was titled “Application form of alien's temporary entry permit”. So he led me to a desk near immigration and I filled out the form and then he stayed with me while I lined up at immigration. There was only my flight from Incheon to process and there was a desk that had a 144 hour visa free sign above it but no staff manning that station. Everyone else had already gone to pick up their luggage so I was taken to the main desk where the female officer looked at my permit form with a blank look and asked the officer sitting next to her for advise. Soon there was a call to a supervisor and another twenty minute wait for further information. She then checked all my documentation and found a small 144 hour visa free sticker which she marked with arrival and exit dates to paste into my passport.

Then there was a few questions about why I was visiting Nanjing. I just said “Museum and Nanjing Memorial” and they understood. Suddenly another officer arrived and whisked all my paperwork off to another office. After twenty five minutes I asked what was going on? The Asiana Airline officer said “go through Shanghai next time, they have better systems in place”. Then a voice from the main desk advised me that “We are doing a police check now sir. Wait.” Oh maybe because I was travelling on to Thailand they needed to check that I was not an international criminal transiting through China. Another twenty five minutes later and my passport returned. I was totally exhausted after waking at 400 am to catch the early flight from Seoul. It was 4.54pm Nanjing time when I left the airport after collecting my luggage which was being guarded by airport staff. The Asiana Airline officer at Nanjing Lukuo airport stayed with me for the entire time till I was given the go ahead to leave the airport. It was a bit of an ideal which I am in no hurry to repeat. It would be great if the airlines educated their check in and other staff about the visa free availability and process. The Asiana staff were polite and helpful although some training is needed about the current visa free regulations for China.

Nanjing has a very modern subway system with a train from the airport to the South Station. The cost from the airport to the station near my hotel was 7 RMB in total. If you have heavy luggage be warned that in some exits there are no upward escalators so you will need to use the stairs. Because of an early flight to my next destination Shanghai I needed to use a taxi to the airport and that cost 193 RMB ($AU37). Most metro trips for sightseeing cost between 2 - 4 RMB, less than $AU1.

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel and Suites which has an excellent location near the down town Xinjiekou metro station and adjacent to a shopping mall with food court and restaurants. The city view on the 47th floor was excellent but the bed was too firm for me and the air conditioning and refrigerator were not working properly. I would stay there again just for the location and hopefully they can get their room maintenance in order. I wish hotels would put some noise dampening on those heavy entrance doors that would wake the dead when people slam them shut late at night.

For mobile internet and calls in China I use a sim card from http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn which is purchased online and delivered to my hotel prior to arrival. I have used this service twice with automatic set-up and fast internet for the duration of my trip. A Virtual Private Network is needed if you want to get behind the internet blocking of Face book, Google etc in China. I use https://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn which has worked ok for me so far. Most reviews promote https://www.expressvpn.com as the best and fastest VPN for China but was considerably more expensive when I purchased Vyper.

Memorial of the Nanjing Massacre

All the places I visited in Nanjing were easily accessible by the metro. I arrived at the Memorial of the Nanjing Massacre Memorial on Wednesday morning thirty minutes before opening time at 830am to be greeted by the sight of at least two hundred school kids and many tour groups waiting for entry. I actually thought it might be a quiet day mid week but then again this is China with it's huge population and many retires like me out seeing the sights. I chatted with a teenage girl and boy couple in the line and they gave me a Chinese flag which I later placed at one of the memorial stones in the gardens after the exit from the memorial building. There was no pushing, little queue jumping and after opening time the crowd flowed quickly and quietly into the building. I have never seen so many Chinese in groups being so relatively quiet and respectful. Just about everything in the memorial has an English description and it is a credit to those who set up all the displays. There are some photos and videos of the harsh treatment and murder of at least 300000 the local population and military in only six weeks back in 1937. There is a large section to honour the foreigners who risked their own safety to set up safe zones and saved many thousands of lives at that time.

The long queue to enter the memorial before opening time

Inside the memorial building.

One of many memorial stones for the various massacre sites

Xuanwu Lake

Xuanwu Lake and park is very close to Xuanwumen metro station and was well worth a late afternoon and sunset visit. Everything was very tidy and well laid out with some smaller lakes and islands inside the park. There is even a McDonalds restaurant with great views over the lake located within the park.

Entry gate to the lake and city wall

Purple Mountain (Zijin Shan)

The Sun Yat Sen Mausoleum is at the top of 392 steps at the so called Purple Mountain. I caught the metro to Muxuyuan station and there were shuttle buses available nearby exit 2 for 10RMB each way to the entrance. There was no entry fee. The steps are not too difficult and it was well worth the effort because the views at the top over Nanjing are excellent even with the persistent haze in the distance. Again there was no pushing or any bad behaviour from the tour groups. In fact people were very good natured and friendly. I only saw one other foreigner there besides myself and the hundreds of Chinese.

The mausoleum building.

Inside the mausoleum. The door to the coffin area was locked. Lots of older Chinese were bowing reverently to the statue.

Shuttle buses. There are a few stops but most people got off to visit the mausoleum. I had Sun Yat Sen Mausoleum written in Chinese to show the driver but it probably was not necessary.

View from the top.

A better view near the bottom.

Confucian Temple Area (Fuzi Miao)

A bit of a tourist trap but I spent a couple of hours looking around and the temple itself was quite peaceful and I sat there resting on a seat in the spring sunshine. There was plenty of inexpensive food available and again there was a metro station nearby.

John Rebe House

As a member of the Nazi party John Rebe used his influence to set up a safe zone to protect many people from the Japanese who were on a murderous rampage in 1937. The house was closed today so I could just look around outside. Rebe is a hero to the people of Nanjing with statues erected at his house and at the Nanjing Massacre Memorial Hall.

The city centre near the Crowne Plaza Hotel.

Meeting the local guys

I spent most of my two full days sightseeing so only had time for one date in Nanjing. The guy I had been chatting with for months got a bit nervous about trying a foreigner's size cock and he said so. I have seen many large Asian cocks so i never really understand that excuse. I would have been happy with dinner together and some light fun if it came to that but not to be. The other guy was 21yo and turned up in a suit after leaving work early from his intern ship so that we could meet. He was very nervous as I was his first time with a foreigner but he warmed up quickly to the task and even gave me some sightseeing hints afterward. No fee for service expected from any guys that I have met in two trips to China.

I was offered some threesomes and missed out on some good looking guys because I was out sightseeing. If you like average build guys you could spend most of your time on dates in China. They do not read your profile and send messages in the hope of meeting a foreigner. I like twinks or slim guys 18 – 30yo so in a generally non money boy society it is fortunate there are enough guys available who like to meet an older foreigner. There are plenty who state “only same age”, 'no uncle” or one guy had 'no old age pensioner' lol. I have been travelling full time for nearly three years so quite happy to make my sightseeing the priority and any meets a bonus in my free time. I have met many guys throughout Asia in that time and some have become good friends so my free time has been well used.

I found Nanjing to be a very pleasant city to visit for a few days. No scams and nobody bothered me like in the tourist areas of Shanghai and Beijing. In general people were very friendly and some helped me in the subway and other places.

More about Shanghai later.....
Undaunted

Re: Nanjing and Shanghai in 144 hours

Post by Undaunted »

Hi aussie, I enjoy your posts and in particular your pics, do you use a digital camera or the one on your iphone?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you VERY much for the photos and your posts. These are my favorite kinds of posts. I know the time and effort you made in bringing the photos and information to us.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Thanks aussie. Excellent photos. What a hassle with that paperwork. Thankfully as a permanent resident of Hong Kong I don't have to worry about form-filling as I can get a 3-year visa. I totally concur with your comments about the guys you meet on the internet. I have quite a few happy memories especially of several I met in Chengdu, a city you might consider for a future trip.

I have not visited Nanjing yet. I wonder if there was any evidence of its having been Chiang Kai Shek's capital after he fled from Shanghai. I guess it's probably all been effectively erased. Enjoy Shanghai!
aussie

Post by aussie »

Undaunted wrote:Hi aussie, I enjoy your posts and in particular your pics, do you use a digital camera or the one on your iphone?
Thank you. The photos are from my phone - Sony Z3+
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Terrific read and eyeball Aussie.
Thanks.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Great photo of the City Center!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
a447

Post by a447 »

A truly wonderful report, aussie. I think you and fountainhall have this genre - the travelogue all sown up. Thanks for the time and effort you put into this.

I felt really angry when I read your report about the Nanjing Massacre. When I was at school in Japan all these 'unpalatable' facts were either quickly glossed over or totally omitted from the curriculum. I found out about it from my father.

I went on a school excursion to Hiroshima. There is a museum dedicated to the bomb and the lead up to WW11 but there was no mention of the Nanjing Massacre. This has since been rectified.

Japan is slowly beginning to come to terms, albeit grudgingly, with the wrongs it committed during the war. I was pleased to see that in the Peace Museum in Okinawa they openly admit that the Japanese soldiers committed various atrocities against the local people.

I'm sorry to hear about all the hassle you had with your visa. I was a bit surprised, as I thought it was only the Japanese who were completely disorganised.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Weekend in Shanghai

I was going to try the fast train from Nanjing to Shanghai for the weekend but they were all fully booked on the Friday so I took the only flight available with China Eastern airlines. On my last visit to China both of my China Eastern flights had been delayed by up to five hours so I was very happy when we departed only a few minutes late from Nanjing. On the flight I chatted with a young Chinese guy who is working as a Mechanical Engineer and living in Canada. He said that he believes that China is at least five years ahead of the west with its technological advances and heading towards a cashless society but was still more than happy just to visit his relatives and friends in Nanjing and live with more freedom in Canada.

I tried the very fast Maglev train for 50rmb ($AU10) from the Shanghai Pudong airport which took about 8 minutes to travel the 30km to the Longyang Road station. My hotel is next to a metro station so I needed to transfer to line 7 which took a bit of finding as the signs were not the best at Longyang Road. I could take taxis from the airports but I like to try the train systems as part of my trip at least one way to see what they are like.

I stayed at the 4 star Shanghai Pine City Hotel which is in the Xuhai district and adjacent to the Zhaojiabang Metro Station. Again the bed was a bit firm but acceptable and the rooms facing inwards away from the road are very quiet and comfortable. The staff speak good English and the hotel is near the old French concession area and some very nice leafy streets, cafes and restaurants located on or nearby Wulumuqi south road. There are shopping malls in walking distance or one station away by train to Dong'an Road Metro station. The gay bars are also a short taxi ride away which is convenient when returning to the hotel late at night. To get to Peoples Square, Nanjing Road and the Bund was a 15 minute trip on the metro. I have stayed near Nanjing Road before and much prefer the quieter Xuhai district.

Shanghai Pine City Hotel

The streets near my hotel. A very pleasant walk for a coffee or meal or just looking around.

We rarely see a corner store in Australia any more

Something that I noticed in Nanjing and especially Shanghai on this trip were the large number of bicycles available for hire by using a bar code scanner on phone apps like Ofo and Mobike. Bikes can be left anywhere for the next user and very inexpensive at 15 cents per hour. I saw other foreigners using the bikes so I will need to find out the process for my next trip to China.

Scan the bar code to unlock the bike

Bikes parked near the Bund and Yu Garden

I spent most of the weekend with a slim 26yo Chinese guy who contacted me on the Blued app last time that I was in Shanghai. He is better than good looking with very smooth and soft skin. He is not a money boy and loves older, average build or larger white guys and is very popular with international visitors so one of his friends told me. No startling news to me as I have read the updates on his We Chat and could see the photos in the moments section when he is out with his friends. I just said that I did not care and know that he is a popular guy and that this weekend was my time with him. I have had enough experience in Thailand to know when I am being pursued by guys looking for a sponsor so I am confident that is not the case with this lovely guy.

Some Chinese guys like to pay for meals etc for their guest and my friend used the We Chat app to pay for just about everything. Over the whole weekend I saw him pay with cash only for train tickets and one soft drink. I kept offering to pay for meals and drinks and had to pay quickly before he could get his phone out.

On the Friday night we went to the Lucca 390 gay bar about 1130pm. The club is a short walk from The Crowne Plaza Shanghai and there was a nearby metro station with more directions on the lucca website. http://www.lucca.cc

My friend paid the entrance of 50rmb ($AU10) each with his We Chat app and the price included one drink each. Beer was 30rmb and spirits 40rmb so it was not expensive. The bar staff were friendly, music was good and not excessively loud like some Thai venues and no smoking allowed inside the building. I maybe biased but I thought my guy was the best looking there and as usual I could see that look on some of the faces of people there of wtf is that hot young guy doing with the old guy and probably thinking he was a money boy. We stayed till about 300am most of the time up close on the packed dance floor and then caught a taxi back to the hotel. If you are in Shanghai I definitely recommend Lucca 390 for an enjoyable night out on the weekend with friends or if you go alone and not too shy there were plenty of single guys who looked available to meet.

On Saturday we just walked around the area near my hotel and took the metro to Peoples Square late in the afternoon. There were thousands of people walking along Nanjing road towards the Bund river. If I walk along Nanjing road alone I will be offered a massage at least ten times by the time that I reach the Bund but walking with a Chinese friend nobody bothered us. Be careful of those massages as they are a scam and you might be threatened with violence to pay large sums to escape before or after your massage. If any Chinese approach you in the tourist areas of Shanghai and Beijing to offer to take you for tea or to have your name written with Chinese calligraphy keep walking and ignore them or your day out may become very expensive.

View across the Bund

The buildings along the Zhongshan East Road side of the Bund

The skyscrapers at night do look spectacular and on my last visit to Shanghai I took the sightseeing tunnel across to the Pudong side of the Bund for a closer look around near the Oriental Pearl Tower and the other tall buildings.

The sightseeing tunnel is worth doing once and then return by metro

The Oriental Pearl Tower

There is extensive condominium and road construction happening further along the Zhongshan South Road near the Bund. The old dark building below looked a bit depressing for the less affluent residents of the area

A one stop shop for all your basic needs near Peoples Square

On Sunday we walked along the Bund again all the way to the streets around the Yu Garden. There were many shops and restaurants and very similar to the tourist areas that i have seen in other Chinese cities. Still its a nice enough place to spend some time and have a meal.

On Monday morning I took a taxi to Pudong Airport which cost 234rmb $AU45. No problems with the heavily regulated taxi drivers in China unless you take an unofficial taxi. It was an early start for the 7.35am Thai airways flight to Bangkok to arrive in Pattaya the day before the Morlum concert on the 18th and the Songkran celebrations the following day.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Another great report, aussie. The Shanghai Tower has gone up very speedily since my last visit and is now the second tallest in the world. Isn't the Maglev train amazing? Amazing that it has been running since 2004, gets up to 431 kph, is still the fastest commercial train in the world and the price of a one-way trip has remained the same for at least 10 years!

Without naming names, I wonder if your young friend had been in Bangkok a few months ago. I ask only because from one of the apps (but not blued) I met a delightful young businessman from Shanghai of the same age and with model looks. He was here for a week's vacation and seemed to spend much of his time playing tennis. We had a lovely dinner in a nice restaurant, but nothing more.