Being Gay in Russia - a Harrowing yet Inspiring Tale

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Being Gay in Russia - a Harrowing yet Inspiring Tale

Post by fountainhall »

The video contained near the end of the attached article was uploaded a few days ago by a Russian professional violinist the day after celebrating his 23rd birthday (it was uploaded on facebook of which I'm not member and so I cannot upload just the video - but it is at the foot of the article with English subtitles).

It is one of the most heart-rending tales of being young and gay in a totally homophobic society I have heard. The story of his childhood, his illnesses, his discovery at an early age that he liked boys more than girls, his fear of telling even his mother because he knew of a young lesbian who had done so and then committed suicide, is harrowing and deeply moving. It illustrates the many problems facing young members of the LGBT community in Russia. In the case of young Artem Koltesov, it also led him to a period of deep teenage depression and no less than 5 suicide attempts.

Artem now lives in the USA where he is the Principal Violin in a String Quartet based in Chicago. In spite of all the hurdles he has overcome, this is also a heartwarming tale of immense courage and affirmation, of a young man now committed to gay rights and determined to help as many of his countrymen as possible who are also growing up gay.

Please, please watch it.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstrudwi ... .uqpk2Al1a
a447

Re: Being Gay in Russia - a Harrowing yet Inspiring Tale

Post by a447 »

If anything, it's a damning indictment of Christianity and his stupid parents.

Whatever happened to "Thou shalt not kill" and "Love thy neighbour"?

But also a very inspirational video.

Thanks for that.