Taipei Report

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
a447

Re: Taipei Report

Post by a447 »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote:Oh, and btw that jacket story also sounds totally bizarre for Taiwan. But shit happens anywhere I guess. There are no money boys in Taiwan. There’s a saying in Taiwanese gay circles “It’s ok to be a slut, just not a whore”.
I've been reading fountainhall's posts about Taiwan for a long time now, and so was also a little surprised that I'd be the victim of a potential scam, as he paints a picture of a country where people are basically honest. His description of Taiwan sounds exactly how I would describe Japan. No scams at all.

But......even in Japan I have heard of scams, even though I've never been a victim myself.

In countries like, say, Scambodia or Vietnam where the people are desperate for money you can understand them wanting to rip us "rich" tourists off .

But Taiwan??Japan??

Japan is one of the richest countries in the world. But I have noticed a number of beggars on the streets here, especially in Ximen, so I guess not everyone is doing well.

I feel very safe here. As far as I'm concerned, it was a one-off and has definitely not altered my high opinion of the locals. They are lovely people.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote:Agree with fountainhall, this simply never happens in Taiwan. (Maybe this was back in the martial law period 45 years ago?)
I was there 3 or 4 times during the last year of martial law (ended July 1987). Never had to surrender my passport anywhere.
ก้นconnoisseur wrote:There are no money boys in Taiwan. There’s a saying in Taiwanese gay circles “It’s ok to be a slut, just not a whore”.
In the last few years I have had two guys on the apps click on me and quickly say they were money boys. The first time was a real surprise because I had never come across money boys before. I never thought to check if he was really Taiwanese or perhaps a visiting tourist from Hong Kong or China. Probably one of the latter.

As for the jacket story, I also find it all but impossible to believe - unless again it was a regular money boy tourist from another part of greater China. I just cannot imagine any young Taiwanese having that sort of ridiculous cheek!
ก้นconnoisseur wrote:Visit the Taiwan National University campus which is worth a look in itself.
A great reason to stay in the Da'an Park area or close by. There are over 30,000 students and when you walk around near the University the eye candy is spectacular! Better still, get to know a student!!
aussie

Post by aussie »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote:There are no money boys in Taiwan. There’s a saying in Taiwanese gay circles “It’s ok to be a slut, just not a whore”.
There are definitely money boys in Taiwan although not many. I have had a few requests in Taipei over multiple visits and they were Taiwanese. I did try one that i liked but found an even hotter looking guy the next day for free. There is no need to use money boys in Taiwan with the availability of guys for zero cost by using the apps. My type is twinks and i will be back in Taipei later in April to meet my regular friends and hopefully find some more.
a447

Post by a447 »

"As for the jacket story, I also find it all but impossible to believe - unless again it was a regular money boy tourist from another part of greater China."

Therein, I hope, can be found the answer - he was not Taiwanese. It would be a shame if people got the impression that the local guys behave like this.

Having said that, in Japan the locals always blame foreigners for everything. It was us, for example, who brought Aids to Japan and for many years foreigners were banned from gay establishments. Straight people will tell you with an equally straight face that there are no gays in Japan. When asked why Shinjuku ni-chome -the famous gay area of Tokyo - exists, they will say it's to cater to the foreigners/Koreans.

I recall what happened to a foreign friend of mine in Japan. He was married to Japanese girl. She contracted thrush and the doctor told her her husband was to blame!!

I'm sure fountainhall will know exactly what I'm talking about.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

a447 wrote:She contracted thrush and the doctor told her her husband was to blame!!

I'm sure fountainhall will know exactly what I'm talking about.
I hasten to add that a447 is not connecting me to thrush (!) but to the fact that I lived and worked in Japan. And yes, I know all about the blame the foreigner game there. Despite that, I still love the country and (most of) the people!

Frankly I have never found that attitude in Taiwan, though, and the two western friends I have who live in Taipei tell me it is nothing like Japan in that respect. I am sure Japan is much more inward looking since it was isolated for so long, whereas Taiwan since the arrival of Chiang Kai Shek and his millions has had no choice but look out to the world as it first struggled to survive as a country and then as an economic export powerhouse.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I hope they won't starve to death in Taiwan. Uhhhhh, what was the name of that restaurant again . . . ?
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Taiwan bans eating dog and cat meat

By Serenitie Wang, CNN

April 12, 2017

Beijing (CNN) - Taiwan has outlawed the consumption of dog and cat meat, as the island's legislature on Tuesday passed a landmark amendment to its animal protection laws, according to island's official Central News Agency (CNA).

"Taiwan's progressive ban is part of a growing trend across Asia to end the brutal dog meat trade," said Wendy Higgins with Humane Society International.

"Previously, the Animal Protection Act only covered the slaughter and sale of dog and cat meat, but this amendment specifically prohibiting the actual consumption of dog meat today is welcome," said Jill Robinson, founder and CEO of Animals Asia Foundation.

Individuals who eat or trade dog or cat meat can now be fined between $1,640 and $8,200.

The amendment also bans "walking" the pet on a leash pulled by cars and motorcycles and raises the penalty for cruelty to animals.

Taiwan has doubled the maximum prison term for animal cruelty to two years and raised the fine up to $65,500 for any act that deliberately harms animals and results in mangled limbs, organ failure or death.

Violators may also see their names, photos and crimes publicized, according to Taiwan's Central News Agency.

Taiwan's president, Tsai Ing-wen, was seen frequently posing with her two cats on the campaign trail. She also adopted three retired guide dogs last year.

Animal lovers pushed for the amendment after a string of shocking animal abuse cases.

Last year, a video showing a group of military personnel beating up a dog, strangling it and tossing the body into the ocean sparked public protests. Taiwan's minister of defense apologized to the public over the incident.

Dog meat is consumed in many parts of Asia including China, the Philippines, Korea and Indonesia, according to Humane Society International.

Higgins said Taiwan's new law also sends "a strong signal" to China and South Korea where the dog meat trade remains and millions of dogs are brutally killed.

China has long been criticized for its annual dog meat festival in Yulin, southern China, where 10,000 dogs are slaughtered and served as meals.
However, Robinson said there's growing opposition in China to the consumption of dog meat. A 2015 survey by Animals Asia showed nearly half of the 3,221 people it asked believed that killing dogs or cats for consumption should be illegal.

"The public too are becoming increasingly sympathetic with the plight of dogs, recognizing the criminality behind the industry, the enormous benefits that dogs bring to society and the comfort they give to the families they belong to," she said.

According to the English-language China Daily newspaper, there were more than 100 million registered pets in China in 2015. Dogs and cats make up the majority.

Story, photo, and video: http://us.cnn.com/2017/04/12/asia/taiwa ... index.html
Between Lives

Post by Between Lives »

Ok so this first happened to me about 12 years ago. Perhaps if u throw some names at me i will remember the clubs name but all the things i said definitely happened. I remember the nightclubs inside was dark of course with red and black coloured furniture... what sticks out for me is that twice a night the club music stopped and they had a Karaoke session. I was not the only farang there - 3 more came late in the night. the toilets were small and a lot of fondling going on. I did post about it on several gay thai and asian forums with photos.

Same with the park name - soon as u say it i will remember.

In Chiang Kai Shek memorial hall there was a large room with the great departed leaders Limos on display - i still have the paper photos - as well as those on the outside in the square and the taiwanese aboriginal village (spooky skulls everywhere) . Maybe i will find time to scan them and upload here.

I had a Taiwanese BF called Norman who then went to do his National service. (He now lives in London UK working for a large bank) I took him to Bangkok and Pattaya as a treat and i have photos with him in the golden cock bar if you remember that. ( he actually hated Thailand lol)

I stayed in a hotel near Taipei rail station and then went to Taichung for a week. Great times.

I also posed with policemen and their motorcys in Taipei and they were very friendly and somehow was in the middle of a politcal demo but had no clue who was who.
a447

Post by a447 »

I certainly hope I haven't inadvertently eaten dog or cat meat! Probably not, as I'm very careful about any dish that contains meat here, not because I think it contains dog meat but because I might get an eyeful of awful offal floating in the soup or lurking among the veggies.

I don't eat any offal at all. Luckily, I can read the Chinese characters for the various body parts. It does, however, limit what I can eat.
I hasten to add that a447 is not connecting me to thrush (!)
Well, fountainhall, actually........... Lol
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

fountainhall wrote:
I never thought to check if he was really Taiwanese or perhaps a visiting tourist from Hong Kong or China. Probably one of the latter.
a447 wrote:
Therein, I hope, can be found the answer - he was not Taiwanese. It would be a shame if people got the impression that the local guys behave like this.
I suspect that may be the answer. Over the last few years there has been a push by the government which is now called the “go south policy” to engage with more Southeast Asian countries. This has resulted in a lot of students coming here on scholarships. And there are lots of tourists from mainland China now. It’s certainly not impossible that some sharp gay (or nongay) guy would try that but doubtful. Taiwanese are very circumspect.

aussie wrote:
There are definitely money boys in Taiwan although not many.
Ok, I probably should have said virtually no money boys. Even in the old days there were ads in the newspapers for male massage “special service” but you would never find real pay for play in Taiwan. There was a period when college girls were doing it to supplement there income but that died off. There was even a gigolo club for women but nothing gay. There is plenty of action in the straight red light district though attracting a lot of Japanese businessmen.

Gaybutton wrote:
Taiwan bans eating dog and cat meat
At the risk of sounding like I have the attitude of the Japanese, it’s the foreign laborers who have been caught doing that disgusting practice here. Taiwan employs thousands of overseas laborers and they sometimes bring their practices here.

Between Lives wrote:
I remember the nightclubs inside was dark of course with red and black coloured furniture... what sticks out for me is that twice a night the club music stopped and they had a Karaoke session.
This sounds like one of the tons of small gay karaoke joints that cater almost exclusively to locals. I’ve been to them very sporatically. Can’t imagine them wanting a passport (or even I.D.) though.

fountainhall wrote:
A great reason to stay in the Da'an Park area or close by. There are over 30,000 students and when you walk around near the University the eye candy is spectacular!
100% true fountainhall, as I said before, best I’ve seen in Asia. And as a447 said…

a447 wrote:
…my high opinion of the locals. They are lovely people.
They truly are. Taiwan is still one of the most underrated tourist destinations IMHO
aussie

Post by aussie »

The club in question may be "Funky Cub" which is one of the oldest gay nightclubs in Taipei with occasional karaoke through the night. I went there once with my Taiwanese bf at that time and moved quickly on to G Star which is a lot more fun. I have never been asked to show a passport in Taiwan but it may have happened in past years. Some nightclubs in Hong Kong on the free vodka night and at Kula Lumpur's "G Tower" recently have asked to view my passport so i always carry a copy.