Taipei Report

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Re: Taipei Report

Post by fountainhall »

aussie wrote:The club in question may be "Funky Cub" which is one of the oldest gay nightclubs in Taipei
I first went to Funky about 18 years ago. I remember because I was on a week-end trip with two friends from Hong Kong. The bar was almost impossible to find. My friends and I tried the concierge at the nearby Sheraton Hotel but even he had no idea where it was. We did eventually find it but it was a big disappointment. No request even to see a passport on entry. Lots of gorgeous Taiwanese guys but all sitting with friends in groups. We were the only westerners there and no-one paid any attention to us. When we smiled we got smiles back but nothing more. Zero activity in the toilets.

When I have been back since with Taiwanese friends, again no request to see a passport. The club was certainly busier with more guys dancing rather than just sitting at tables. But we never saw any groping in the toilets. So it must have been somewhere else.

I had never realised there is a Museum in the CKS Memorial. The changing of the guard there is certainly impressive. I will go and look at the car collection when I am there next month.
a447

Post by a447 »

And there are lots of tourists from mainland China now.
You can say that again! Today I went to the National Palace Museum and ended up exhausted as I spent much of my time trying to prevent being over-run by hoardes of Chinese tourists, all following the flag. Bus load after bus load came in and we were literally swamped. I continually found myself being pushed towards the back, craning my neck to try to get a glimpse of the exhibits.

Fed up, I moved to the second building where they had an exhibition from the Musée D'Orsay in Paris. Again, it was a fight for survival. They would all gather around the most famous artworks and just stand there while the tour guide droned on and on. No sooner had they moved on when yet another four group arrived and pushed us aside. So fucking rude!

They should set aside certain times or days to cater to these groups. Then after they have left, the rest of us can go back and enjoy the exhibits at our own leisure.

Earlier on in the day I went to the National Martyrs' Shrine and got to see yet another changing of the guard (my third). I was surprised to see one soldier who was also in the ceremony at the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial. They must move the soldiers around. I remember him because he is so cute!

The Changing of the Guard is a little too overdone for me - way too theatrical, no doubt keeping the tourists in mind. Today as the soldiers marched up the stairs they did a very strange, very effeminate movement with their hands. It was very un-soldier-like.

Cute soldiers doing effeminate hand gestures. Hmm.... hardly likely to instill fear into the hearts of the enemy! Lol

And speaking of passports, I was asked to register with some form of ID today just to get into the furniture exhibition at the World Trade Centre next to Taipei 101.

But no ID required to get into the Din Tai Fung restaurant in Taipei 101! I'm there every day, lining up to eat the most delicious Chinese food ever!
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

a447 wrote "Bus load after bus load came in and we were literally swamped."

Sounds like Pattaya right now. Scores of buses parked everywhere, especially on Thappraya Rd heading towards Jomtien. Haven't seen then lining up at 11am before. Getting closer to the Jomtien Complex than ever before. It's like the high season.
a447

Post by a447 »

If only 1% of them visited the gay bars in Sunee, it's future would be assured. Unfortunately, they are all straight and are only interested in bars that have a show - that means BBB.

I don't have a problem with Chinese tourists per se. They have a right to travel, just like we do. It's just a shame that they only travel in groups and that those groups are so large. They can end up taking over entire restaurants and museums, sitting the rest of us out.

The manners of the mainland Chinese also leave a lot to be desired. The Taiwanese, on the other hand, are extremely polite. No pushing, no shoving - they even line up for everything and wait patiently.
aussie

Post by aussie »

a447 wrote:
And there are lots of tourists from mainland China now.
They should set aside certain times or days to cater to these groups. Then after they have left, the rest of us can go back and enjoy the exhibits at our own leisure.
The museum is open on Friday nights till 900pm when the group tours are flooding the street markets. Friday was not convenient for me so i ran the gauntlet on a week day morning to view the museum and had the same problem with the large crowds. I managed to see what i wanted, the miniature carvings on display are amazing.