Siem Reap ...

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Smiles

Siem Reap ...

Post by Smiles »

If you've stayed in Siem Reap I'd like to receive some hotel recommendations.
We're not going until 'sometime' this October so not a hurry. I haven't googled it yet, I haven't searched this board or Sawatdee yet (though I will later) ... but first I'd just like to hear from those here who've actually hotel-ed there in ~ let's say ~ the last five years or so.
My only criteria are, as usual, general cleanliness, and hopefully a pool (but not a deal breaker). My dearest speaks fluent Khymer so hotel staff being English speakers is not an issue.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

daherk

Re: Siem Reap ...

Post by daherk »

I always stay at the Rambutan Resort, formerly the Golden Banana, in Siem Reap. It is gay owned and gay friendly in a unique setting and walking distance to the Old Market and Pub Street. Breakfast is included and served poolside. They have a saltwater pool and a pool bar open all day until 10 pm. They have a great staff and take care of your every need. The rooms are large with a indoor shower and a bath and shower located on the balcony/patio, very nice to cool off after a day at the temples. Book through their on line reservation system and receive a "friends rate" discount.

The Steung Siem Reap is located right across from Pub Street and the Old Market right in the middle of the "action". It's a beautiful old colonial hotel and very convenient to everything. Breakfast is included and they have a swimming pool.

Don't miss out on The Olive for a great French dinner, Viroth's for great Khymer food, The FCC (Foreign Correspondents Club) for lunch on the balcony (try their fried Calamari with wasabi mayo) and if your up for a great steak try "The Steakhouse" next and attached to the Linga Bar. Have fun, it's one of my favorite places.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Rambutan (pool, central location), Men's (pool, sauna with visits of locals, massage, remote location - 15 min by walk to center, exclusively for men)
Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
colmx

Post by colmx »

As others posted above, the Rambutan Resort was formerly known as the Golden Banana. Just be careful that you don't book the current Golden Banana.

Its on the same alleyway as the Rambutan, and owned by the same people... but its a complete dive.

Myself, BF and an farang friend stayed in 2 rooms at the GB back in January. On first impression the reception area and garden seemed very nice.

We were then taken to our room, which involved a rickety (and very steep) wooden ladder that you had to climb to get into the first floor room.

The room itself looked like a broom cupboard or converted rice storage room... and nothing at all like the website pics.

The air-conditioning didn't work properly, so we were told to use the ceiling fans... Trouble is the ceiling fans were not secured to the ceiling and were hanging by their electrical cables! I couldn't sleep knowing that those giant rotating blades were gyrating 2.5 metres above my head!

There was at least a 1cm gap down both sides of the front door in both rooms, so as you can imagine the mosquitoes loved that.

The curtain rail was set 4 inches out from the window. as a result there were a 4x4 inch light gaps filling the room with sun from dawn to dusk

The bathrooms were filthy with mould growing everywhere... easily fixed by some bleach

There was a 9 year old manning reception in the evening, nice way for him to practise his English... but not very practical from a security standpoint.

When we went to the bar the staff didn't know how to make a Vodka Tonic. Handed me a shot class of Vodka and a can of Tonic water!

To top it all when my friend complained about the faeces on the wall in his bathroom and the rubbish accumulating outside his bedroom window - he was advised that he should have booked a deluxe room... and this was by the owner!

If that's the owners attitude - then I will be staying away from all his "resorts" in the future and you would be well advised to do the same
colmx

Post by colmx »

Have also stayed an River Queen guesthouse in SR in recent years, whilst its far from perfect... its a million times better than the Golden Bananna.

BTW just showed above post to travelling companion, and he agrees wholeheartedly.

After we left SR we hit Phnom Penh and stayed at Saravoan Royal Palace www.saravoanroyalpalace.com, the welcome we received there was so vastly different to the Golden Bananna. The owner really cares about his hotel, his guests and their experience.

I can not sing the praises of Saravoan Royal Palace enough
Jun

Post by Jun »

colmx wrote:Have also stayed an River Queen guesthouse in SR in recent years
Never stayed there, but the owner ran an interesting blog until it changed ownership last year.

I stayed at Ei8ht Rooms on 3 trips so far, but that has closed now.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Yes the River Queen ex-owner certainly was an interesting character... and an interesting blog!
Reminded me of an extra from Priscilla Queen of the desert!
The new nae for the place is '84 hotel
http://year84.com/

It ain't the Ritz.... but its sure better than the 'Banana!
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Thanks all for your replies. Lots of great knowledge regarding Siem Reap in this thread ~ both positive and negative ~ and which I will definitely use once we are closer to our Siem Reap dates.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

So this River Queen was sold? I stayed there 3-4 years ago. The place itself was pretty good and the only negative I had was the balcony room I stayed in had something of a musty smell. But it was all clean and comfortable and the “river view” was nice enough. Price was good and very walkable to the things in town, no need for a tuk tuk unless you have some physical challenges.

The owners themselves were rather characters but seemed okay enough. One very friendly and the other rather remote. They were helpful in arranging onward transportation. When I left I thought I would stay there again until I found out one of the owners was running a blog with very catty, critical and what could be construed as racist comments about the locals.
That was a deal breaker for me.

I haven’t been back to Siem Reap since but if the new owners are different then I would certainly consider staying there again.