Mass Shooting in Orlando at a Gay Club

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Trongpai

Mass Shooting in Orlando at a Gay Club

Post by Trongpai »

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/or ... -shooting/

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/f ... 37582.html

I am deeply saddened by the event in Orlando. My heart is filled with both sadness and rage. Rage at the intolerance and rage at the ease that allows anyone to buy an assault riffle in a civilized world.

I think I've been to that club when it was under a different name some years ago. I used to live around one hour from this club. I just had the last friend I know in Florida confirm via email that they are safe and OK.

Rant: First, Religion, yes I know that not all Muslims, Christians or whatever Religious followers are not out to kill gays but Religion provides both the inspiration and the absolution for carrying out acts of murder again those the religion do not like. Stone the gays, an AK-47 is just a modern stoning devise. Religion is the cause of hate. Every politician including Obama invoked the name of God in addressing the nation. I would like to hear one Religious leader come out an say stop the hate, stop taking the Bible or the Koran literately and accept all people. Second, how is an AK-47 with an extended magazine a hunting gun? It's a gun for mass murder or warfare. The Republicans, funded by the NRA, have and fought for the right for private ownership of guns and blocked every reasonable regulatory control proposed. Hate sometimes works well for the Republicans but it comes with a horrible price. When the Government of of Florida (R) was asked what 'We' can do the response was not reform gun laws but rather, "Pray".
/Rant

This month is Ramadan and it would wise to take some reasonable steps for our safety whether you live here in Thailand or someplace else.

Gaybutton

Re: Mass Shooting in Orlando at a Gay Club

Post by Gaybutton »

And this incident is right on the heels of some mental case just walking in, like he was walking into a grocery store, and murdering the singing star Christina Grimmie.

There are too many gun nuts in the USA, always invoking the US Constitution's Second Amendment.
Second Amendment wrote:A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
What I don't see is anything that prohibits laws that can regulate what those arms can consist of, but any politician trying to restrict what kinds of guns people can buy gets quickly "shot down." Where can I buy a Howitzer?

It has become a matter of routine for tragedies like this one to occur. When incidents such as this happen, it's not even much of a surprise anymore, even when the numbers of victims keep getting higher and higher and the incidents become more and more frequent. The only questions are when will the next one happen and how many people will die or be maimed? And then the next one, and the next, and the next after that. It's only a question of time. It's not even a question of if it will happen again. You can bet that it will and all because there are no effective restrictions on what kinds of arms some nut can get his hands on.

These incidents happen so often that I wouldn't be surprised if sooner or later the news takes them off the headlines and mentions them in passing right after the weather report. It is often said that it takes a tragedy and major loss of life before any action is taken to solve a serious problem. That idea seems to fall by the wayside when it comes to shooting incidents. Despite these tragedies, little or nothing has been done and so far there is nothing to indicate that anything ever will be done.

Most of the time it's terrorists and nut cases who do these things. This by far isn't the first time gays have been the victims of violence. But one thing I've never seen - gays trying to deny people their rights, forming hate groups, and/or attacking, hurting, and killing people because they're heterosexual.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

The origin reasons for the second amendment do not apply now. Someone tell the Republicans that King George III is dead.

https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/h ... sAllowed=y

Guns back then were single shot devises. Put black gun powder down the barrel, a ball, some wadding and then light the pan via pulling the trigger and hope the whole thing does not blow up in your face.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

You can't discuss this with pro-gun people. They all say you are trying to take their guns away. They get emotional and defensive and won't listen to simple reason. They react with indignation and anger, and treat this latest event as if it were a natural catastrophe, like an earthquake. If it were really like that, then it would mean civilization is at war with itself, and 50 dead people are just a casualty of war. Hopeless and depressing.

No one is asking gun owners to give up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

thaiworthy wrote: No one is asking gun owners to give up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly.
Well, if a movement were started to force gun owners to give up the freedom to carry guns I'd be all for it. I don't understand why anyone needs a gun except to hunt and ak47s aren't very useful for that. If one pushes the "right to bear arms" to the limit I suppose we all have the right to house a couple nukes. And the argument that guns are needed for protection is specious - law abiding citizens are not experienced enough with weapons to take on an armed criminal pointing a gun at them. I say take away everyone's guns and lets be done with it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:law abiding citizens are not experienced enough with weapons to take on an armed criminal pointing a gun at them.
I doubt that most criminals are all that experienced either. I think it's a question of who is more likely to actually pull the trigger.

My solution is to let the gun nuts have all the guns they want, no matter what kind they are. Let them bear all the arms they want, as they claim the Constitution permits. Let them walk around with their holstered guns, just like the Old West. Let them carry AK-47s, right out in the open, or whatever other kind of firearm they want.

So, what's the solution? Very simple - and I don't see anything in the Second Amendment to prevent it. Just ban and outlaw bullets . . .

Well,Mr. Heston - now your hands are cold and dead.

I wish I could find this on YouTube or somewhere, but so far no success. Maybe some of you are old enough to remember the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" TV show. At different points in the show Hitchcock would ridicule and parody commercials. I remember one, after an aspirin commercial, where he says, "I have a much better cure for headaches." And he holds up a bullet in one hand. "And here is the handy applicator." And he holds up a pistol in the other hand.

I don't keep a gun. I've never kept a gun. But I do keep a heavy meat cleaver and a heavy knife handy. I've been practicing. I'm now almost as good as the following video:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thais shocked by Orlando massacre

14 Jun 2016

A vigil honouring those killed and wounded in Sunday's Florida nightclub shooting drew at least a dozen people to the front gate of the US Embassy.

Participants passed around white and yellow candles to light in memory of those killed.

"We are distraught by what happened in Orlando," said Paisarn Likhitpreechakul, the vigil's organiser. "We are looking for a way to express our condolences and solidarity with the people and government of the United States to raise awareness of problems of violence against the LGBT community."

US Ambassador Glyn T Davis came out to speak with the Thai LGBT activists and lit a candle.

Separately, the Royal Household Bureau released a message from His Majesty the King to President Barack Obama. The message expressed deepest sorrow. His Majesty said:

"The Queen and I are deeply distressed by reports of the brutal shooting at the nightclub in Orlando, resulting in senseless deaths and injuries of so many innocent people.

"We wish to express to Your Excellency and particularly the bereaved families our deep sympathy and condolences for their irreparable loss caused by this shocking incident."

Story and photos: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... o-massacre
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Only a dozen people? I wish that I some advance notice, I would have come out. It's nice that someone organized something but failed in getting the word out. Once upon a time in Bangkok there was a 'Gay Pride' week and a sense of a gay community, now almost nothing.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Gaybutton wrote:I wish I could find this on YouTube or somewhere, but so far no success. Maybe some of you are old enough to remember the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" TV show. At different points in the show Hitchcock would ridicule and parody commercials. I remember one, after an aspirin commercial, where he says, "I have a much better cure for headaches." And he holds up a bullet in one hand. "And here is the handy applicator." And he holds up a pistol in the other hand.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x126vi ... _lifestyle
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:
Gaybutton wrote:I wish I could find this on YouTube or somewhere, but so far no success.
Yes, that's it! How did you manage to find it? Obviously I didn't remember it exactly the way it actually was - it's been a lot of years - but at least I remembered the punch line correctly. I like the actual version much better than my memory of it was.

Many thanks. That's one I'm downloading and keeping.