Mass Shooting in Orlando at a Gay Club

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
thaiworthy

Re: Mass Shooting in Orlando at a Gay Club

Post by thaiworthy »

A bumper sticker on a car driven by someone with an "I Dare You!" attitude reads: "Honk if you want to see an AK-47 fired from a car window."

Road rage and assault weapons are a dangerous combination, but for some the very definition of an armed militia. In the following video, please note the cuts and creative editing, illustrating a new windshield installed for each film shot at 4 different angles. A little deceptive. Not sure if the glass would sustain repeated firing. Brave man, but watch him flinch. Useful for some who find their driving skills usually piss off a lot of people.

The disclaimer: "Please be safe and shoot responsibly." it says.

Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

A vigil honouring those killed and wounded in Sunday's Florida nightclub shooting drew at least a dozen people to the front gate of the US Embassy.
I missed the vigil but the memorial is still there and people are leaving flowers, rainbow flags, notes and candles. It was front page of both the Bangkok Post and the Nation. It's on the sidewalk and against the wall. Security is allowing people to post notes/cards with tape to the wall. The guards have tape for you.

It's just to the left of the Consular section entrance across from the US Embassy. I'm guessing it will be there for several more days.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

This story smacks of internalized homophobia, leading to the slaughter other gay people. Having a positive view of your sexuality is necessary for good mental health. Living in such a retarded community, he felt forced to marry and have children, denying his own natural instincts. Time will tell.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I am livid, and I think many others are as well. I am upset, not only by the event, but of the politics and attitudes that have come as a result of the event. Thoughts and prayers? Thank you, kindly. What gratuitous support! Really, I don't need to read such apologetic drivel on Facebook. The social media is exploding with fury and saccharin emotion. It has worn me out. I am numb.

I am ready to condemn social media for the revelations it is has made from all kinds of people. While one tends to gravitate to friends who share common interests, their friends are sometimes less than savory and it is surprising that human nature can stoop so low. Case in point, the following 2 memes, which I won't help idealize further by including their accompanying graphic:

1. "Legal gun owners have over 200M guns and 12 trillion rounds of ammo. Seriously people, if we were a problem, you'd know it."

2. "How can he buy a gun after being investigated by the FBI?" "The same way she (Hillary) can run for President while being investigated by the FBI."

The first comment is the usual tripe. The second is insensitive and in extremely poor taste. It uses 50 lives to posture itself for political means. Reading all this day after day just makes me want to heave. It is disgusting what social media is spouting now. This is where the nerves deaden and depression takes over. There is no compassion, no patience, no sensitivity, no understanding. Everyone just shakes their head in dismay, grateful that it didn't happen to them, not realizing someday they will be the next target, and someone else using them as a convenient excuse to satisfy an agenda.

I don't know what others are doing, but I am not in a location where I can attend events to honor those dead. That is therapy for the living. It is a challenge here in Thailand to find the wits and fortitude to cope with such a tragedy. The worldwide web grows smaller every day and exposes every sordid detail about the worst in people at a time when we should be looking for the best.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:I am upset, not only by the event, but of the politics and attitudes that have come as a result of the event.
If that upsets you, try this.

Does he remind you of anybody?

The Good Reverend Phelps

Baptist pastor doubles down post-Orlando: They deserved to die

June 15, 2016

SACRAMENTO -- A pastor at the center of a controversial video praising the massacre of 49 people in an Orlando gay nightclub is standing by his sermon.

Baptist Pastor Roger Jiminez spoke to CBS Sacramento a day after his widely scorned remarks -- which included him saying Orlando was safer because so many gay people died and that he wished "they finished the job" -- drew widespread condemnation.

Jiminez says that despite how many hateful messages are made public, he's privately received messages of support from Baptists and other Christians that thank him for "finally" speaking out.

The video that caused the initial controversy from the Verity Baptist Church's YouTube page has since been removed by YouTube as a violation of the site's policy against hate speech.

The pastor claims he's not trying to incite hate, or advocating for arming up and killing gay people, despite saying in the Sunday sermon hours after the Orlando massacre, "If we lived in a righteous government, they should round them all up and put them up against a firing wall, and blow their brains out."

Instead, he says the deaths shouldn't be mourned because if the victims were gay, then the Bible calls them sinners, and they deserved to die.

California law makes it a crime for any person to threaten to commit an act resulting in death or great bodily injury. Local law enforcement says because Jiminez didn't specifically threaten anyone, his statements are considered to fall under First Amendment protections and are not a hate crime.

"As far as the Bible is concerned, they crossed a line. The sin they performed is worthy of death," he said. "I realize our society doesn't take that, but that's what the bible says. If someone does something that's worthy of death and they end up dying, I'm not gonna mourn them."

He also doubled down on his remarks that Orlando was safer because of their deaths.

"Absolutely I think they are safer now because of these deaths, and the reason I think that is because I believe all of these homosexuals are pedophiles, and the Bible--see our culture and our society puts them in these categories--gay, lesbian, whatever, but that's not found in scripture. And I understand the world does not want to accept that, that's fine. I'm saying as a Christian, the Bible puts people in two categories: normal/natural, unnatural," Jiminez said.

Jiminez bases that last portion on a passage from the book of Romans, a New Testament epistle from the apostle Paul that is separate from the Gospels and the teachings of Jesus Christ. The book is commonly referred to as biblical proof against gays and gay marriage.

Scientific research has repeatedly struck down the bigoted assertion that gay people are more likely to be pedophiles.

Many Sacramento-area pastors say they feel betrayed by this man of the cloth.

Dr. Phillip Goudeax of Calvary Christian Center says Jiminez's hateful sermon is embarrassing to the Christian faith.

"It's really about walking in love and grace and passion and mercy. It's about compassion," he said. "My heart was broken. Nobody deserves to be murdered."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sacramento- ... preaching/
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Gaybutton wrote:If that upsets you, try this.
I live in Norwich in the East of England. I am proud to say that Norwich is officially the least religious city in England and Wales. In the 2011 census, 42.5% of respondents reported having ‘”no religion”. I hope this figure increases. We hear from “religious leaders” not because they have anything enlightening to say, but because they are “religious leaders”.

We would never have heard from Mr Jiminez, if he hadn’t been a pastor. He would simply have been just another half-wit that everybody ignored. He is not just embarrassing, as suggested by Mr Goudeax, he is a disgrace to humanity.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Daniel wrote:This story smacks of internalized homophobia, leading to the slaughter other gay people. Having a positive view of your sexuality is necessary for good mental health. Living in such a retarded community, he felt forced to marry and have children, denying his own natural instincts. Time will tell.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... fore-atta/
lukylok

Post by lukylok »

I am not always happy with the policies of my government, but very happy to say that if Pastor Jiménez delivered such a hate speech in Belgium, he'd go straight to jail.......and for a very long time. Where he certainly would have a very tough time !