Cambodia: Ideas, anyone?

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
ceejay

Re: Cambodia: Ideas, anyone?

Post by ceejay »

does anyone have a recommendation on mornings or afternoons for light on the temples
What I did was go out early-ish (between 8 and 9) back to the hotel at about 12 or 12.30 for a shower, something to eat and maybe a nap and back out at about 2 in the afternoon. That way, you avoid trying to take pictures with the sun directly overhead (which is the main thing to avoid). It also keeps you out of the hottest part of the day. It's perfectly easy to do it like that, because the temples are so close to the centre of Siem Reap - apart from Beng Melea/Koh Ker which was an all day trip.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I just got up when I felt like it, had a leisurely breakfast & left by tuk tuk somewhere between 9:00 & 11:00 am, finishing sight seeing just before dusk.
In November & December, the temperature was always comfortable. I only ever felt overcrowding when climbing a particular hill to watch the sunset. I have photos of the most famous tree roots taken mid afternoon at Ta Phrom, with no other tourists in shot.
Different things work for different people.
ajarn2

Post by ajarn2 »

What about "no man 's Land,the area between Cambodia and Thailand,whose been there for a visa run ?
Great report by Stickman.
http://www.stickmanweekly.com/StickmanB ... mbodia.htm
PaulCambo

Post by PaulCambo »

bao-bao wrote: I'm not going for the guys but as I may be going with a Thai friend I like the idea of staying someplace where we wouldn't raise eyebrows.
Almost all hotels in Cambodia are gay friendly. But there is only one gay hotel in Siem Reap : MEN's Resort.
There, you will have no concern like "raise eyebrows". All the clients are gay.

Have a look to the website: www.mens-resort.com, it is absolutly the place to go for gay travellers.

ajarn2

Post by ajarn2 »

Thanks paul,never heard of it,come to think of it, there are more gay hotels in Cambodia than there are Thailand.Who knows why ?

Anyone stayed at the above place ?
travelerjim

Re: Cambodia: Read NY Times Travel Report...

Post by travelerjim »

Thanks Paul, appreciate your posting.

While looking over Men's website, I noted the recent news feature article
by the New York Times - Travel.

Next Stop
By Ancient Ruins, a Gay Haven in Cambodia

A very good read and should be most helpful to all who are interested in
learning more about Cambodia:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/tr ... wanted=all

tj
PaulCambo

Post by PaulCambo »

ajarn2 wrote:there are more gay hotels in Cambodia than there are Thailand.Who knows why ?
many "gay friendly" hotels : yes,
almost all the hotels in Cambodia could be considered as gay friendly, and also family friendly, and also... well... everybody friendly.

but there is only one gay hotel in Cambodia : MEN's Resort,
and it is not only gay, but excellent.
Cheers

Post by Cheers »

NEW Place in Sihanoukville beach resort, Cambodia.

We open 1st December 2010

The 100% gay but straight friendly venue in Sihanoukville beach resort, Cambodia.

Cheers Cambodia is pleased to announce, after months of searching for the perfect property, after looking at hundreds in the rain and sun, after much preparation, blood, sweat and tears, Les and all the staff are delighted to say we will be opening soon. The property is now being finished off, fitted out and decorated.

If you are in Sihanoukville for the 1st December you are most welcome to the party, free BBQ, great music and a ladyboy dance show. Please use the online booking form if you would like to be one of the first guests to stay at Cheers Cambodia. Complementary bottle of Champagne, fruit basket and fresh flowers for all first night room guests.

The grand opening party kicks off very soon !

More details & booking : -

http://www.cheers-cambodia.com
PaulCambo

Post by PaulCambo »

Cheers wrote:100% gay but straight friendly venue in Sihanoukville beach resort, Cambodia.
it seems I was wrong when I said that MEN's Resort is the only gay hotel in Cambodia.

welcome Cheers !

Now Cambodia will have two gay hotels, one in Siem Reap and one in Sihanoukville.

By the way, what means "100% gay but straight friendly" ? Isn't it an hotel only for gay ?
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

A quick thank you to all who contributed here! Most of my plans for Cambodia are set, and if time runs short I can always go back another trip (I hope).

There was a guide who was highly recommended by a friend who is usually spot on, but I haven't been able to reach the guy. If someone's had a positive experience with a guide for the Wat areas and would be willing to PM me here, I'd appreciate the tip.

I still have a while before I go, but I'm one of those who likes to have some key points in place.