There's no fool like an old fool

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 436 times

#11 Re: There's no fool like an old fool

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:53 pm

fountainhall wrote:I am not sure when he died

It's been a long time. I don't remember exactly, I think it has been around 10 years, maybe more.

But that's beside the point. The point is making sure a long term, loyal, caring Thai boyfriend is provided for without assumptions about how the money will be used or how quickly it will be spent as factors in decision making.

RichLB
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

#12 Re: There's no fool like an old fool

Postby RichLB » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:42 pm

There is an alternative to filing a will (at least in the US). I'd never heard of this device until a friend of mine told me about it. It's called "Transfer on Death". What this vehicle does is immediately transfer whatever assets are identified to the recipient, thus bypassing probate. I don't think this would include monies or assets held outside the US, but I'm not sure. You might want to check this out with your financial advisor.

fountainhall
Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 252 times

#13 Re: There's no fool like an old fool

Postby fountainhall » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:17 pm

I was informed that for all an individual's assets in Thailand there must a valid will written in Thai along with the signatures and addresses of two witnesses. That is the only document a Thai court will recognise. Such a document can easily be done via the internet with several law firms offering on-line Thai/English translation wills at a very reasonable cost. Some years ago, mine cost around Bt. 5,000. If that is wrong, I hope there will be a lawyer amongst us with experience of the process to correct this.

Return to “Gay World”