Are Western Tourists Returning to Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Are Western Tourists Returning to Thailand

Post by Jun »

I didn't realize western tourists had stopped going to Thailand. I don't see empty planes either.
Undaunted

Are Western Tourists Returning to Thailand

Post by Undaunted »

Here is an opinion piece that thinks they aren’t: https://bangkokjack.com/2018/11/05/thai ... Ic971dgeC0
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

This man Albert Jack is a veritable National Enquirer fount of knowledge. Want to know the identity of Jack the Ripper? He knows. Did you realise Great Britain is in danger because The Pope is encouraging religious wars in Europe? He knows. Or what about the UK’s Unfunny Comedians dying on their Arse outside London? Do you really want to know? Want 4 tips to save money on recreational activities? Albert knows. Not that they are original, mind you, but then he makes a big splash out of suggesting they are - travel off-season, watch movies online, shop online and look for free or low cost options! Well, here’s a genius who seems to know precious little.

Oh, and then there’s his theory that on 9/11 no airliner crashed into the Pentagon!

This Albert Jack is a loony tune playing way off key. I wouldn’t believe anything he writes - even if it had a grain of truth. Total B/S
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I am not familiar with Albert Jack nor other of observations that have been made in the past by the author however, for those frequent visitors and expats many maybe not all of his observations of Thailand do ring a large degree of truth.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

I also don't know who Albert Jack is, but I remember when I first started going to Thailand over 20 years ago. I was totally amazed with the people and culture of Thailand, even in Pattaya, which I knew was not a true representation of Thailand as a whole. I still love Thailand but not enough to go there as frequently as I use to.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If he really thinks Chinese tourists are boycotting Thailand, tell him to come to Pattaya . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

If I recall correctly, the Chinese started flooding in to Chiang Mai when a popular soap opera shown on Chinese tv was filmed there. The dip in Chinese tourists after August last year followed the general fall off after the Phuket boat tragedy. AFIK there is no boycott and the drop in tourists had zilch to do with Thai criticism of the Chinese. The writer is a nutter.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Don't really see any significant influx of any kind of tourists up here in CM as of late. That'll change a bit for about a week or 10 days around the upcoming Songkran festival.
As for Chinese, seems to everyone I've talked to that there are a whole lot less of them around here the last month or two. Not sure why....but I am mildly thankful.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:56 pmfor those frequent visitors and expats many maybe not all of his observations of Thailand do ring a large degree of truth.
They ring true to me.

I've witnessed and heard about as many violent acts during my time visiting Thailand than I have in the past 50 years living on the West Side of Chicago which has one of the highest crime and murder rates in America.

I've attended five funerals over the years for close Thai friends who were all victims of violence. All were in their twenties and murdered in cold blood by cowards. That doesn't include many other Thai friends and acquaintances who have been injured and hospitalized due to violent acts.

I haven't stayed out all night boozing at the wild late night venues in years so all seems peaceful. But all I have to do is turn on the news to see what atrocities occurred the night before.

This is not Mayberry.

pong

Post by pong »

As in my former job I had to follow most of these figures (and also some non-published ones from airlines etc.) the total influx from EURope is more or less stable to slightly rising-but with from year to year quite big changes-both up and down.
In general visitors from mediterranean like Spain and Italy are firmly on the rise recently-also due to new direct airlinks. There is also quite a big shift to other Thai destinations as before, thus yes, Patters is falling out of favour with the new generation.