crazy

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: crazy

Post by Undaunted »

gera wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:49 pm The lawyer is telling me not to pay remaining 60000 baht.Tomorrow he ,my bf and his cousin who came to pattaya because of this problem will go to police station to see what is the status of the case. After that he will tell me how to proceed

Maybe I missed something? Didn't you say the BIB wanted 100,000.... so you are holding back 60,000? Why did you pay partially 40,000 before you sought legal advice?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

gera wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:46 amIf you try to hint that my bf of many years is scamming me, I know for a fact that this not the case.
It's entirely up to you how you handle this situation and I'm sorry to see you being caught up in this.

When the BIB start throwing numbers around like 100,000 baht it' almost always because there's a farang in the picture somewhere. This doesn't mean it's always a scam, but the vast majority are thus the reason the red flags should pop up any time the BIB are involved and demand outrageous amounts of tea money such as 100,000 baht for a boy buying a used video player and a couple of copy games.

They invented this scam way before we were born and attempting to find the real truth when confronted with these scams is more challenging than finding a needle in the haystack. To each his own, but seeing as Thailand is so slanted towards "Thais for Thais" when it suits their best interest - I choose to just let Thais deal with Thai money when they start playing these scams and leave me and my wallet the fuck alone. Farangs for Farangs".
Jun

Post by Jun »

I undersand the topic title, since the whole story is somewhat crazy. It makes no sense.

Your BF PURCHASES some DVD games and he is the one who has infringed copyright rules. Assuming these are illegal copies, wouldn't the seller normally be the one the authorities go after ?

Such an enormous fine in a country that doesn't give a monkeys about copyright sounds like a way to get money out of the farang. Are the authorities in the business of extorting 100,000 baht from Thai citizens for purchasing fake goods ? In a country where fakes are everywhere and the minimum daily wage is just over 300 baht. So the fine is about a years work for someone on the minimum wage.

I wouldn't have paid the 40,000 and would be even less likely to pay the remaining 60,000.

I'm not sure who is taking who for a ride here.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:00 am Your BF PURCHASES some DVD games and he is the one who has infringed copyright rules. Assuming these are illegal copies, wouldn't the seller normally be the one the authorities go after ?
I agree and I think Dodger has the answer. At some point the police found out the boyfriend "have farang." Poof - up goes the ante . . .

--- and this message is out of the correct order. It should have appeared right after Undaunted's post below.
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:23 am No question about it - a sting, but also a scam. No matter how much money ended up being paid, my only question is in whose pockets did the money end up?
I agree with that. Since there is misunderstanding (cause messages appear in random order due to message board glitch) :
Nobody paid anything to Bib and police never asked for money. This is not a standard situation many posters are talking about. Gaybutton got it right. For others, please, read my early posts in this thread.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

If I understand your last post you were scammed by your “boyfriend “.....
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gera

Post by gera »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:01 pm If I understand your last post you were scammed by your “boyfriend “.....
No But it was a scam I will pm you with details