crazy

Anything and everything about Thailand
gera

crazy

Post by gera »

My bf contacted me. He was taken to police while purchasing a play station with games on dvd from the guys he established a contact with through the website Kaidee.com. Apparently the guys was followed by rep. of the company producing games. He was taken to police where he was asked to pay 100000 baht for copy rights infringements.He contacted me. I did not have so much money on my Thai account. I initiated transfer but it will not be completed till tomorrow.
He was told either he pays today or taken to jail till court hearing. And now he is not responding to my calls. I presume he was taken to jail. Is not it crazy? I am currently in US and really can do nothing.
gera

Re: crazy

Post by gera »

actually, I am on the phone waiting of outcome. There is a lawayer representing the company and I even talk to him. The money supposed to be paid to the company. My bf paid 40000 baht which I just sentto him with promise to pay the rest tomorrow morning. I hope they let him go.
gera

Post by gera »

They let him go after he paid 40000 which they just sent to him from my Thai account.
gera

Post by gera »

Sounds like an elaborate scam to me.
gera

Post by gera »

Here is the whole story. My boy arranged the purchase (for 1000 baht) an old play station through the website Kaidee.com. During the meeting (which took place in Central Pattaya) four people approached my bf and sellers. One of them turned out to be policeman and the whole group was taken to the police station (along with sellers). Over there they were accused on infringement of copy rights. The lawyer representing the company showed his credential and suggested
that if 100000 baht are paid , the problem will be settled for my bf ). Otherwise he should go to jail and wait for the court. I talked to the lawyer over the phone where he started referring to the rule of law and insisted that the payment needs to be made today. I told him that I have sent the money to Thailand and they will arrive on Monday morning. The case was "settled" when I sent him 40000 baht and copy of receipt confirming that remaining funds has been sent (to my account) in Thailand. I have heard about similar scams in Russia but never in Thailand. Be warned.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Not crazy for Thailand.....If you were here you could negotiate the fine or most likely the tea money down, it’s only a quess that if he mentioned a farang that is when the fine was set at 100,000 if it was only a poor Thai the fine would be negligible.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

One very serious scam.
100,000 baht for a copyright infringement in a country where fake products are sold all over the place and no one seems to care about it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

No question about it - a sting, but also a scam. No matter how much money ended up being paid, my only question is in whose pockets did the money end up?
gera

Post by gera »

Can somebody recommend the appropriate lawyer for the case . You can PM me
Thanks
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

gera wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:34 am Can somebody recommend the appropriate lawyer for the case . You can PM me
Thanks

Mr.Vichai 081 344 2109
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"