Booze free weekends coming...

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jogger

Booze free weekends coming...

Post by Jogger » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:34 am

The Election Commission has confirmed that there will be a 24 hour alcohol ban in the weekend BEFORE the upcoming general election.

Sunday 17th March will feature a day of pre-voting.

Alcohol sales and distribution is forbidden from 6pm on Saturday 16th until 6pm on Sunday 17th.

Thaivisa notes that with another ban expected on the weekend of 23rd and 24th March this will mean two weekends in a row will be affected by the election.

The election proper takes place on Sunday 24th March.

Pol Col Jarungwit Phumma, secretary of the EC confirmed the ban on 16th and 17th.

He said that weddings and parties could still be organised at this time but there must be no alcohol.

Prospective candidates are forbidden from going onstage, too, he said.

No election related polls are permitted in the seven day run-up to the election.

He said that the EC had received 43 complaints via their 1444 hotline and "Pineapple Eye" app with 11 of these related to alleged corruption and the rest being other irregularities.

All these are currently being processed and investigated.

Source: Thai Rath

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/108771 ... ion-looms/

Gaybutton

Re: Booze free weekends coming...

Post by Gaybutton » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:26 am

The obvious solution for people who can't handle a couple days without alcohol is to buy your liquor in advance and keep it at home or in your room.

Nothing has been said as to whether the bars will be open, but if they are, they won't be serving alcohol.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:43 am

I still have no information as to whether the bars will be allowed to open. Obviously if they do open, alcohol will not be served.

24-hour alcohol ban for Sunday advance voting

March 16, 2019

By THE NATION WEEKEND

The sale and distribution of drinks containing alcohol will be banned from 6pm on Friday for the next 24 hours and during advance voting tomorrow, according to the Royal Thai Police.

Violations of the ban are punishable by imprisonment of up to six months or a fine of up to Bt10,000.

The restriction is imposed in Thailand’s elections to prevent electoral fraud such as vote-buying or bribery. It is believed that canvassers often try to bribe voters using a variety of tactics, including by throwing parties the night before the poll in order to attract votes.

Police deputy spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen yesterday warned all sectors to take care they did not violate electoral laws. Any wrongdoing can be reported around the clock to hotlines 191, 1599 or 1422 and press 2.

The deputy spokesman also said the police were well prepared for advance voting on Sunday as well as for the March 24 election.

Police will ensure security at polling stations, as well as manage road traffic to help voters exercise their rights, Kritsana said.

Police officers will also be on standby to deal with any irregularities during the election, he said. This includes actions on social networking websites that may violate electoral laws, propagate false information, incite hatred or defame election rivals, Kritsana said.

The advance voting will run from 8am to 5pm on Sunday in designated polling stations. Over 2.6 million of the over 51 million eligible voters have registered to vote outside their home constituencies in Thailand.

Those who have registered for early voting but fail to turn up on Sunday will not be eligible to exercise their right on the official election day next week.

The EC also advised those voting on Sunday to ensure they get the numbers of their favoured candidates right. The numbers must be based on their home constituencies, not the constituencies in which they had registered to cast their ballot.

According to the EC, all the advance-voting ballots for all 350 constituencies will be collected and stored in Bangkok before being sorted within two days. They would then be sent to their home constituencies to be counted along with the ballots cast on March 24.

The sorted ballots would be kept at Bangkok’s police stations before being driven to their rightful constituencies by 300 trucks provided by Thailand Post. A surveillance camera will be placed in each truck and a police car will accompany it on the journey.

All ballots will also have special tags and documents accompanying them, the EC said. Anyone with missing tags would be deemed spoiled in order to prevent any fraud, the EC added.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30365897

Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 am

It's one of the two weekends I'll be there. No matter, I don't drink anyway. Can even go without the bars being open for a couple of nights. Sure I can think of some other activity for those evenings.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:31 am

Captain Kirk wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 am
Can even go without the bars being open for a couple of nights.
For drinkers, don't forget that hotels are usually exempt from liquor restrictions, which means you can drink all you want at hotels and hotel restaurants. Last night, despite the "no booze" order some friends and I ate dinner in a hotel restaurant and there was plenty of drinking going on.

Also, my route on the way home takes me past several open air bars frequented mainly by Thais. All were full of Thai customers and all were drinking.

I had expected police stops for breathalyzer checks, but I saw no police anywhere at all.

So much for booze restrictions and enforcement . . .