Icon Siam Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Icon Siam Bangkok

Post by Trongpai »

Today, I finally made my first visit to Siam Icon. I had been avoiding a visit until the crowds died down. We went via the free shuttle boat from Sathorn pier, well marked and very easy to find. There was no waiting for a crossing late afternoon. The boat is new, large and fast.

It's certainly an impressive structure inside and out. I thought eating at Siam Icon would be really expensive, but I was surprised at all the mid priced options. There's no typical mall food court but there's some stalls on the ground floor for budget Thai food. The restaurants are not those typically found in Bangkok's malls. There's a Tapas restaurant on the ground floor that's really good.

The water fountain on the river takes water fountains to a new level. Shows at 6:30 and 8:00pm. Not a big crowd of lookers. I guess you see it once and that's all there is. Maybe weekends draws more people. We had a seat at one of the many bars that face the fountain but most just stand in the area in front of the fountain on the river. The water, laser, light and music show lasts 30 min.

We left around 7:30pm and getting back on the boat was easy with no waiting. I noticed a lot of people waiting for the ASIATIQUE shuttle but none for ICON SIAM. Perhaps the ICON boat is bigger and faster. You can visit both in one day/evening. Actually, there's a lot of new restaurants and bars at Asiatique that are quite good.

https://www.iconsiam.com/th

http://www.asiatiquethailand.com/
pong

Re: Icon Siam Bangkok

Post by pong »

there is supposed to be a foodcourt-of sorts, but it has many floors. Should be similar to Paragon.
From BKK-post_just opened this week-also in a high floor, is a western type buffet restrt, based in Taiwan(?-as for western), for 7/800 THB for lunch dinner, more on sat+sun, I think name is Harbours, but not sure
In the making is also a kind of what they call monorail to nearest by BTS. Thai AC Central shopping malls like Westgate IKEA (on the MRT purple), Central Pinklao or Future Rangsit (brr, even further away as DMK) also have loads/whole floors of other chain restrts that hardly are seen in the tourist-oriented ones in central BKK. Buffets for under 200 (mostly Thai food) are also available, with time-limits
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote:In the making is also a kind of what they call monorail to nearest by BTS.
That is a very interesting idea. It would certainly make it easier getting to and from.

Please keep us posted about the progress. Do you have any information about how long it will be until service begins?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Yes, I did see that buffet restaurant on the top (7th?) floor. There was a long line to get in and It was the only restaurant that had a line. If there's a food court similar to Paragon I missed it.

I did not see any construction of a monorail. Might have missed that too. I guess it would go to BTS Thornburi. Nice idea but I found the boat fast and easy. It's not far from Sathorn pier, 5 min in the new shinny big shuttle boat and you're there.