Deja vu all over again?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Deja vu all over again?

Post by Gaybutton »

Why does this sound vaguely familiar? Hmmmm, have we heard this before . . . ?

Pattaya launches study into tram system

January 18, 2019

Pattaya has launched a formal feasibility study of using electric trams as part of the city’s efforts to improve mass transit.

Deputy City Manager Sutham Petchket chaired the Jan. 10 meeting of local and regional transportation officials and Sumet Piriyawat of Burapa University’s Engineering Faculty who is working as an advisor on the project to the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand.

The go-ahead for the feasibility study was given Dec. 20 and now Pattaya will hold a series of public meetings to gauge the cost, design, environmental impact and operational aspects of a tram system.

In June, Thammasat University researchers tested electric tram cars in Pattaya. They ran the rubber-wheeled trollies on four routes from Naklua to Jomtien Beach.

Pattaya officials in 2016 proposed that a light-rail or tram system be built, with variations on the plan calling for a loop between North and South Pattaya on Beach and Second roads, or just a single track on one of those streets. The tram system is based on one already being built in Khon Kaen.

The Pattaya test, funded by the National Science and Technology Development Agency, was designed to collect data for later analysis of capacity, route planning and economic benefits.

The next meeting will give local business leaders a chance to give their input on the tram plan. (PCPR)

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya ... tem-241957
fountainhall

Re: Deja vu all over again?

Post by fountainhall »

I love trams! In Hong Kong I use them much of the time. At about Bt. 10 a ride of any length, they are a steal. They also tend to move faster than buses, although nothing beats the underground for speed. In cities like Prague, Zurich. St. Petersburg and Istanbul, again I greatly enjoyed using them. But the need for regular passenger stops does restrict traffic flow. Trams have to use the centre of the roads. If tracks are placed at the sides, that prohibits commercial vehicles from unloading except overnight. But it also means that parking on roads with tram tracks must be either prohibited or severely restricted, especially when the roads are as narrow as in Pattaya.

When a city is clogged with traffic much of the time, how many of those vehicles will be left at home to clear enough room for the space required by a regular tram route? Not many, I reckon, but I hope it works.
Gaybutton

Re: Deja vu all over again?

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I hope it works.
That's assuming they ever get around to building it. I've been reading about trams and/or people movers coming to Pattaya for years and none of it has ever gotten past the talking about it stage. Trams? Within our lifetimes? I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Even if they do build it, I hope they don't screw it up as is typical of so much else. My favorite example is the Sukhumvit tunnel. The tunnel never should have been a tunnel. It should have been a bridge. Also, it is at the wrong intersection - one that never had a serious traffic problem. There certainly are other intersections where a series of tunnels and bridges would eliminate a lot of problems.

If they do build a tram, I hope they include a stop outside the city where an enormous number of cars can park, making it far easier to get into Pattaya during peak traffic periods. How would you like to be stuck in the traffic nightmare that occurs every time there is a holiday? Thousands of cars stuck in traffic for hours trying to just get into Pattaya. And then, once they finally make it, no place to park.