National immigration police chief on retirement visas

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

National immigration police chief on retirement visas

Post by Gaybutton »

Once again I thank Travelerjim for alerting me to this article.

The chief wants to abolish the 90-day address reports and also wants to introduce 10-year visas for retirees. Sounds real good to me. It beats hell out of just a few weeks ago when we thought we were all going to be stuck with that 800,000 baht option as the only option.

If everything goes the way the article makes it sound, then whatever they're paying him, it isn't enough!

It is a lengthy article, which you can see at: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... ats-visas/

The portion of the article significant for retirement visas:
Under his command, the bureau whose slogan proclaims “Good Guys In, Bad Guys Out,” will undergo several changes. Surachate said he’s drafting suggested amendments to the 1979 immigration law to make things smoother for expats seeking to reside, retire or work in the kingdom.

“I can guarantee it will be easy to apply and live here,” Surachate said. “[But] bad people will have a hard time.”

Proposed changes include abolishing 90-day reports and introducing 10-year visas for foreign retirees, Surachate said. A data link between the immigration and Thailand’s consular affairs around the world was recently established. Experts will also be consulted to see what restricted professions should be open to foreigners.

“The amendment process will take probably about two or three months,” Surachate said – an optimistic assessment when at least half a year is usually needed to pass legislation.

At the same time, he said the immigration is working with the Anti-Money Laundering Office to inspect past tax records of expats living in Thailand in order to weed out those with suspicious activities.

“I’d like to remind all foreigners that their stays and businesses in this country have to be legal,” Surachate said. “We’re watching you.”
Dodger

Re: National immigration police chief on retirement visas

Post by Dodger »

Getting rid of the 90 day reporting process would be great, but I'm not ready to celebrate the 10 year retirement visa proposal until I see what the requirements are to obtain it.

The 5 year retirement visa already exists but to qualify you have to have 3 million baht in the bank for 12 months and proof of health insurance. Do you think the 10 year visa being proposed by Big Joke would be any less stringent?

Good Guys in - Bad Guys Out or Rich Guys In - Poor Guys Out???
Gaybutton

Re: National immigration police chief on retirement visas

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:Do you think the 10 year visa being proposed by Big Joke would be any less stringent?
I have no idea. No details of that proposal have yet been published that I can find. I think it's pointless to start speculating about what the requirements for a 10 year visa might be. I think it's better to wait and see what they will be if the proposal is passed. If we don't like it, in my opinion that's the time to start complaining about it.

Also, we have no idea at this point whether he might propose changes to the requirements for the 5 year visa or simply abolish it if a 10 year visa becomes a reality. I can't guess whether any changes will be proposed, but I can guess that immigration is not exactly brimming over with foreigners applying for it.