Foreign Newspapers

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Foreign Newspapers

Post by Jun »

Up to about 3 years ago, I could get a copy of the FT in Jomtien on the way to the beach.

Last year I managed to get it at the bookshop on the third floor of Central. They have no newspapers at all now.

Is there anywhere left in Pattaya with a selection of foreign newspapers?

Of course this is another sector facing competition from the internet. However, all the newspapers sell long term subscriptions only. There is no option for ad hoc purchases, or even purchasing a fixed number of subscriptions.
traveller123

Re: Foreign Newspapers

Post by traveller123 »

Have you thought about downloading a newspaper onto a Kindle?
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

How about Food Mart?
Jun

Post by Jun »

traveller123 wrote:Have you thought about downloading a newspaper onto a Kindle?
I have gone one step further and did it several times on my previous trip. The Kindle format was not as good as the real FT, but the ability to buy one edition without a long term contract was good.
They have now screwed up by only having contracts (for the FT) AND the first thing I see is customers complaining because the link to cancel it does not work.
Even an outstanding operator like Jeff Bezos has allowed this.
pong

Post by pong »

in BKK not the printed in UK, but printed as kind of fotocopy in TH-price 200 bt each of various UK and AU newspprs are sold in ASIAbooks and also at airport newsstands. though the JPNese chain Kinokuniya (in Paragon and opposite Big C Rajprasong-6th fl) has the print in Asia (local edition) pink FT (plus various JPnese newspprs). ASIAbooks has bought the former Bookazine shops and from what I recall they had a shop in that Pattaya shopping centre at beach rd close to boyztown-but thats years ago. Still that would for me be the best place to try and see.
Or maybe the lobbies of some truely international stdd. HTls.
Jun

Post by Jun »

In Bangkok I found proper copies of the FT in some of the big shopping centres. Probably the Siam Centre and the enormous Central World, or whatever it is called. I shall have another look around South Pattaya soon.
mahjongguy wrote:How about Food Mart?
Thanks. I shall have a look next time I go past.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Asia Bookstore on the third floor of Central had the FT Weekend edition amongst a very small selection of foreign papers, including the New York Times.

As they had nothing midweek, perhaps they only stock the weekend edition. Which is always a good read.
Jun

Post by Jun »

mahjongguy wrote:How about Food Mart?
Food Mart has The Sun, The Daily Mail and a Dutch newspaper.

For those unfamiliar with British papers, the Daily Mail is low class and The Sun is worse.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Yeah, FT and the Daily Mail, probably very little overlap in readership. :)
Jun

Post by Jun »

My memory must be failing, but I am pretty sure someone kindly pointed out that an overseas subscription to the electronic version of The Times could be had for £5 per month. Must have been in a different thread.
I signed up whilst in Thailand and enjoyed it every day (first month free of charge). Then happily paid for a few months.
Then when my location changed, I wasn't reading it. So I called them via the online chat to cancel and they offered a 3 month discount to £2.50.