Gay Thailand board - major change

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Gay Thailand board - major change

Post by Gaybutton »

The Gay Thailand board has announced it is closing and has now been taken over by Michael. Michael has changed the software and the board is now called Gay Guides.

All the posts from Gay Thailand have been retained.

The URL for the new board is: https://www.gayguides.com/forums/
fountainhall

Re: Gay Thailand board - major change

Post by fountainhall »

I wish Michael and the new Board all the best. gaythailand has been been a valuable source of information and valuable forum for many years. In that time, the apps have taken over some of what the longer established forums set out to do. With the old gaythailand attempting to provide a vast amount of information apart from the forums, information including listings of gay venues, restaurants and others in Thailand's main cities, that was almost impossible to keep anywhere up to date, I think a major change is timely.

From a cursory glance, it appears that the new site places Thailand in a much more international context. Although details on far more gay cities around the world will eventually be included, it is good that Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket remain on that list.

With that in mind, I also note the new layout is very similar to the very popular and successful Singapore site, Blowing Wind. Although that is geared to a much younger membership, I wonder if this means there will eventually be a greater tie up between gaythailand and a number of international sites. Just a thought.

New gaythailand Snapshot

Blowing Wind snapshot
MichaelGT

Post by MichaelGT »

Thank you both for the shout out. As I told Gaybutton this week, his board was the place I went to on my first visit to Thailand. I learned more about offing guys, talking to mamasans, etc. from a board than I could have imagined. And, that was a LONG time ago. Thank you Gaybutton for continuing to support the gay community with great information, chat, and possibilities. Your site is truly the one that sets the standard for all other sites.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

MichaelGT wrote:Your site is truly the one that sets the standard for all other sites.
Thank you very much for saying that. I greatly appreciate it. Not exactly everyone would agree with that, but I try to do the best I can.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Wish the new layout success although I can't login. Seems it doesn't like the same screen name (plain old Bob) that I've logged in on all the boards since the days of Dreaded Ned. I somehow was able to send the administrators a message internally about the problem but, given I can't log in, I can't find out what (if anything) was the response.

The only gripe I have about the new deal is one apparently cannot login directly (and only) through the forum, which was the only part of the GT board that provided me any interest. Admittedly, I haven't contributed much at all in recent years but at least I'd regularly visit to check any topics of interest.

[Michael, when I try to go to the board, all I get is some box thing that commands me to complete my profile. When I add my name as usual, it simply stops there and says the name is in use by somebody else. If it's a simple thing as changing my screen-name, I'll do that; if it's requiring me to provide a photo or any other personal information, that is not going to happen.]
Jun

Post by Jun »

I had the same problem, now fixed.

Apparently it affects people who have one e-mail address in one part of the forum and a different e-mail address elsewhere. Completely unknown to me, although I have changed the e-mail address in the past.

I PM'd Michael and it got fixed. They are working through other affected people.

The login isn't ideal. My Ignore list isn't effective until logged in.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:if it's requiring me to provide a photo or any other personal information, that is not going to happen.
You could do what a lot of people do. If a board insists on a photo, give them one. Who says it has to be a photo of you? If it were me I'd put in a photo, all right - a nude pic of Ernest Borgnine.

As for personal information, I'd just make up some malarkey. Who is going to check, or know, or even care?

I'm with you on this one. I couldn't care less about some board's worries about security. What about my own? In my opinion you'd have to be an utter idiot to supply genuine information online in this day and age to anyone, for any reason. What the hell does a board need with someone's personal information? Whatever they need it for, it's not my problem. And if I can't get onto a board without supplying genuine personal information, I'll live without that board.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Agree with all. But, to be fair to Michael, I remain clueless as to what their system does or doesn't want from me. If just a new board name, fine; if anything else, it's sayanara (presuming I spelled that right....).

P.S. สวัสดีปีใหม่ครับ
MichaelGT

Post by MichaelGT »

Bob,

Your login issue should be resolved. However, as there were 2 emails registered, I just combined them to be one called [email protected] When you get into the site, send me the email you wish to use and I'll change it.

As for the other information, the site started in 2006. The entire time there were 2 options for members to register. One is for the forum only and the other is to have a profile to meet others. Members can choose. It has not changed in 13 years. However, if you are a regular member, it does ask you detail like age, height, weight, etc. This is what all hookup sites do. If you don't believe me, go and register on Grindr, etc. Again, that is optional.

We try to resolve issues fast but only if people send us an email or a message. I normally do not monitor the boards. I just happen to log in today. I hope this helps. Email: [email protected] Cheers and Happy New Year!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks, Michael....just got in using the old username and password. Cool. I didn't realize that I used two different emails....I changed it to the gmail address you have at least 10+ years ago. I'll attempt to send that message internally. Correction....just sent it to the gmail address listed above.
[Thanks to GB for letting me use his board to communicate the problem]