Immigration Policing at Dongtan Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Immigration Policing at Dongtan Beach

Post by Jun »

Immigration police were seen checking ID cards of Asian tourists and beach concession workers today. A couple of customers sitting at an adjacent concession were taken away.

Our concession lost both staff at one point and only one of them reappeared by the time I left.

I didn't see any farang disturbed.
Gaybutton

Re: Immigration Policing at Dongtan Beach

Post by Gaybutton »

It is likely to become more and more strict until New Year's Eve is over - and maybe beyond that too. Especially if you drink, whatever you do, don't drive on New Year's Eve. There will be a lot of police checkpoints. Even if you have your own transportation, if you're going to drink, take a taxi or motorbike taxi that night - and hope your driver is sober.

It would be a mistake to assume farang are immune to these checks.

It can't hurt to carry at least a copy of your passport face page and visa page just in case. If they do decide to check you, you better be able to produce those documents. Most of the time that's good enough for them and they'll accept it, but bear in mind that technically Thailand requires you to carry your actual passport on your person at all times. It is extremely rare for them to make an issue of it, but they can if they want to and if they do, there's nothing you can do about it.

If you don't happen to have a copy, there are photo shops all over town - Pattaya, Bangkok, and just about everywhere else. Any of them can make copies for you.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I scanned the main page of my passport, printed it out at ID card size and laminated it.
No idea if the Thai police will accept it, but I have twice left one of these as security when hiring a bicycle in Cambodia. No way will I leave my real passport.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:No idea if the Thai police will accept it
Let's hope you don't have to find out. In any case, I think they will accept it, but you ought to do the same with your visa page. If you're showing evidence that you're in Thailand legitimately, then I doubt they would want to waste much time bothering with you when they've got other fish to fry.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

They wouldn’t dare ask a Chinese person!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote:They wouldn’t dare ask a Chinese person!
Based on recent evidence, the Chinese police would immediately respond by detaining a few Thai citizens.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

From Thaivisa on 18th November:

PHUKET: Phuket Immigration has confirmed there is no need for foreigners to carry their passports at all times, despite the ongoing ‘Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner’ crackdown on illegal foreigners netting 300 foreigners in Phuket last month alone.

Well you can trust that if you like --- I'd rather stay on the safe side with a copy of my passport and my Thai driving license.

Full report:
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/10 ... %E2%80%99/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote:I'd rather stay on the safe side
That's the side I like to be on.
Jun

Post by Jun »

All the staff were back at our concession today.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:All the staff were back at our concession today.
I wonder how that could have happened . . .