Chiang Rai

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

Chiang Rai

Post by Trongpai »

From another thread:
Gaybutton wrote:How about some examples of what you enjoy seeing and doing in Chiang Rai.

If someone is interested in seeing a lot of temples, then Chiang Rai would be very interesting and worth a trip. Other than that, I don't know of anything of particular interest.
The only temple that comes to mind is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Rong_Khun It might not count as historic but it's quite a sight.

I like visiting Mai Sai on the Myanmar border. I've been visiting since the early 90's and watching all the changes. I love the border market and Burmese food.

I like Chiang Rai for it's natural beauty. The area west of hwy 1 to Rt. 107 has numerous National Parks, some with waterfalls or hot springs.
One place I particularly enjoy is https://www.thaizer.com/tourist-attract ... hiang-rai/ We've been several times.

East of Hwy 1 is the "Golden Triangle" is different topography. It's dotted with scenic spots and even some museum parks. I like the town of Chiang Saen on the river.

If you're returning to Chiang Mai taking the route that goes to Doi Ang Khang, Fang is worth an overnight stop. The top of Ang Khang is unique to Thailand with a temperate climate. You'll think you're in Northern New England.

I could go on but this post will likely sink to the bottom like a lead balloon and get bumped out by a post on how to get to Pattaya from the airport or how much to tip a boy for rimming your ass.
ilz

Re: Chiang Rai

Post by ilz »

The lao side is not bad either, especially in the Doi Chi Fa peak which is a summit on the border offering great views over the Mae Khong Valley, as well the whole area.

I would not forget the only gay bar in Chiang Rai - Regency Boys Bar- which keeps the easy-going atmosphere of what were the bars in Thailand, say, 20 years ago ... I was there two months ago (report at http://llz.blogspot.com/2018/10/blast-i ... g-rai.html )
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Nice post Trongpai, thanks. From your and Dodger’s description, Mai Sai sounds attractive.

Good post also ilz. It seems Chiang Rai has many attractions of various kinds.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Trongpai wrote:
I like visiting Mai Sai on the Myanmar border. I've been visiting since the early 90's and watching all the changes. I love the border market and Burmese food.
My favorite market is the one on the Laotian side of the Mekong a short distance from Mai Sai. The last time I visited they were selling everything from authentic U.S. Army survivor knives and other military relics left over from the Viet Nam war to bottles of Laotian whiskey with the cobra's and scorpions inside. Not the sort of things one would find on Ebay and were selling for give-away prices. I think I paid around 500 THB for the long boat ride across the Mekong which was a fun experience as well.

There's nowhere in Thailand as beautiful as Chiang Rai with breath-taking mountain views, secluded waterfalls, and of course all those adorable hill tribe boys. I'm talking myself into another trip right now.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Anyone know any good medium or so priced hotels in Chiang Rai where you can bring guests?

Utopia lists only two and neither sound appealing. Google searches turn up nothing else.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Some years ago I stayed in this hotel in the middle of town walking distance to the one remaining gay bar no problem for guests.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wangcom ... %2520Hotel
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"