Mandatory medical insurance for retirement visa - maybe

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Mandatory medical insurance for retirement visa - maybe

Post by Gaybutton »

I have some new information, but I want to make it clear this is coming to me second hand. However, the source of the information is Barry Kenyon, the former Honorary British Consul in Pattaya. If anyone's information is reliable, it's his.

From what I was told, Barry is saying, with regard to the retirement visa, if this insurance requirement does come into being, it will affect only new retirement visa applicants, but will not affect those who already hold retirement visas and are renewing.

Again, I stress this is coming to me second hand, so I cannot guarantee this information's validity.

I have no information as to whether there might be any insurance requirements for short-term visas or entering Thailand on the 30-day privilege. Of course, if any such information becomes available, it will be posted.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

GB

It sounds like this information is coming from a reliable source and I hope he's correct.

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I've mentioned my experience with Queen Sirkit Hospital a few times and just want to clarify something. You have to pay for inpatient care (surgery) in full before they even hand you a gown.

If all hospitals in Thailand supported this policy there would rarely be an unpaid hospital bill involving a foreigner.

I imagine there are ethical standards which may be preventing public hospitals from implementing such a policy but it would sure solve the problem.

I know this sounds cold but if a foreigner decides to retire in Thailand with no plan to cover himself financially in the event of a medical emergency then why should this burden be passed on to others including the hospitals themselves who have to foot the bill.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger wrote:That is when I decided to cancel the policy and go the "self-insurance" route.
Why would anyone opt for self insurance when you can get very affordable in patient medical insurance :?:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Why would anyone opt for self insurance when you can get very affordable in patient medical insurance :?:
The only reason I can think of would be if people can't get insurance. Some are turned down by insurance companies due to age. Some are turned down due to pre-existing conditions - for example if someone has HIV he might not be able to get insurance at all or the premiums might be so prohibitively expensive that they would rather just take their chances.

Dodger wrote:It sounds like this information is coming from a reliable source and I hope he's correct.
I'm sure we all hope so. I do think it is crazy to live in Thailand without medical insurance unless you're so wealthy that you can afford to pay for any eventuality and are unlikely to try to skip out on a huge bill. Few of us have that much money. I certainly don't.

If Thailand is not going to make medical insurance mandatory, it would make sense to me if they at least give incentives to have it. How about sizable discounts for visa fees for those who can prove they have medical insurance? Better still, how about 2 or even 3 year retirement visas for those who have medical insurance?

Sounds good to me, but I'm afraid the odds of anything like that actually happening are about zilch.
odd

Post by odd »

Undaunted-what do you call 'very affordable in-patient insurance' ? Maybe if you are in your sixties, but in your late seventies?? I don't count that as 'affordable'
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

odd wrote:Undaunted-what do you call 'very affordable in-patient insurance' ?
Does what Undaunted sees as "very affordable" matter? The point is most people retiring in Thailand have reached the age when medical problems become more and more likely to occur, so good medical insurance is among the 'musts' for retirement. The only thing that matters is what you can afford and what is available to you.

The best time to do your shopping around for good coverage internationally is, of course, before you retire. Most Thai medical insurance available to foreigners sux, so I would recommend finding a reputable insurance company that has international service.

I use Cigna Global. I pay my premium quarterly, although you can opt for monthly, semi annually, and annually. I have it arranged so that they simply deduct the premium directly from my Thai bank account. I just paid at the beginning of January and the quarterly premium was exactly 33131.83 baht (US $1043 at the current exchange rate).

One of the main reasons I like Cigna is because they deal directly with the hospital, meaning the only money that has to come out of my pocket is the deductible. They pay all the rest directly to the hospital and I don't have to lay out the money first and then wait for the insurance company to reimburse me.

They have several policy options to choose from and their customer service is excellent. Also, once you have insurance with them, as long as you pay the premiums you will be insured with them for the rest of your life. No cancellation of policies due to age.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

odd wrote:Undaunted-what do you call 'very affordable in-patient insurance' ? Maybe if you are in your sixties, but in your late seventies?? I don't count that as 'affordable'
Agree with you odd, just what is affordable in-patient insurance? As you say, someone in their late seventies is likely not to be able to afford insurance.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote:As you say, someone in their late seventies is likely not to be able to afford insurance.
If I were in my late 70’s and was a U.S. citizen who was not wealthy and could not get insurance in Thailand and planned to live in Thailand I would rethink my plans!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
odd

Post by odd »

I did have Insurance cover until I had a prostate operation and the insurance company , having paid up, then declined any further insurance. I tried to get a quote from Cigna earlier today and was passed on to Pacific Prime-they only offer a Worldwide cover which I have no need for as I buy holiday insurance whenever I leave Thailand.
It is all very well saying people can obtain 'affordable' insurance-fine if money is no problem. Similarly the option of leaving Thailand is fine -if you can afford that. Affordable means different things to different people.