Suvarnabhumi two hour layover to catch a flight – too risky?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Montree

Re: Suvarnabhumi two hour layover to catch a flight – too risky?

Post by Montree »

I stayed in Chiang Rai a few years ago. I hired a bicycle and enjoyed sightseeing. Temples and river trips and friendly locals particularly when I was off the tourists routes. The local children were entertained when a Farang turned up in their midst on a bicycle.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The apps work in loads of places. However that doesn't mean there will be readily available boys. There are no end of boys from various cities in SE Asia who moved to Pattaya, but they still don't hire themselves out when they go back home.

I like to start my holiday with some guaranteed fun. The culture can come a few days later.

However if I were planning to start a holiday in Chiang Rai, I would only consider flying onto Chiang Rai if there was a proper connection, with baggage transfer and so on. Which also makes the airline responsible for getting you there.

If having to check in again myself, that would only happen after a stopover in a proper hotel, in Bangkok (Silom). Typically a stopover of 2~4 days. If forced to cut it to 1 day, maybe an afternoon flight departing between 13:00 and 16:00. This is supposed to be a holiday after all.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Thanks to all for your input.

Re the topic:

Papa wrote:
It would be different if they allow you to check in all the way to your final destination, say you could clear immigration and customs at Chiang Mai.
gera wrote:
You need to inquire about the option of going through immigration in Chiang Rai
fountainhall wrote:
On reflection I suggest you call your incoming carrier to check if it has an interline agreement re baggage with Thai Smile. If it does, then you will be able to check your bag right through to Chiang Rai and that will save you a ton of time.
Good suggestions. Problem is I got a screaming good deal on my ticket as I booked it two months ago and allows no changes. But since Thai Smile is an affiliate I think I will drop by their local office and make an enquiry. Your Munich story fountainhall is a cautionary tale.

Trongpai wrote:
As for your transfer plan: Perhaps it would work out but why take the chance and have stress. You're on holiday to avoid stress, yes?
Jun wrote:
If having to check in again myself, that would only happen after a stopover in a proper hotel, in Bangkok (Silom). Typically a stopover of 2~4 days. If forced to cut it to 1 day, maybe an afternoon flight departing between 13:00 and 16:00. This is supposed to be a holiday after all.
Good points also, maybe not worth sweating it out on the plane without some agreement from Thai Airlines. However, I live in Asia so the flight is not the jet lag inducing one that many on this board must endure so I wouldn’t need a long layover. And I prefer afternoon flights too.

Re: Chiang Rai

Trongpai wrote:
I like Chiang Rai and go there often. There's lots to do and see. It's not a commercial sex entertainment center like Pattaya but there's other attractions, historic and natural. BYOB or be adventitious.
Montree wrote:
I stayed in Chiang Rai a few years ago. I hired a bicycle and enjoyed sightseeing. Temples and river trips and friendly locals particularly when I was off the tourists routes.
Thanks for the positive feedback. History, culture and laid back bike rides sound great. I like your attitudes. When I can I like to see something new on a trip. I’ve been to Pattaya oodles of times and know it like the back of my hand. Believe it or not the main attraction are some old friends I go there to visit. I like Jomtien best.

Trongpai wrote:
I'll consider a post on what to do and see in Chiang Rai province but as a new topic.
I hope you will Trongpai. I’d like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
pong

Post by pong »

you leave out the most important piece of info; WHERE the incoming flight is from.

IF it is from out of TH, you can use the direct connection in swampy without passing normal incoming immi etc-luggage will bge checked through to chRai - assuming ThSmile also cooperates.

If this is not possible-forget it-you cannot reach the last time to check in properly landside.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

pong wrote:you leave out the most important piece of info; WHERE the incoming flight is from
It's clearly an international flight. Does its origin really matter?
ก้นconnoisseur wrote:My incoming flight lands at 16:50 . . . We’ve all been on the notorious lines at immigration (I’ve spent an hour at times) and Feb is still high season . . . I’m flying Thai in and never had a delay with them in almost two decades of flying.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

.ก้นconnoisseur,

As a possible alternative: Lion Air operates regular low cost flights to Chiang Rai from Don Muang if by chance you miss your connection at Suvarnabhumi.

If you already have a boy lined up you should be all set. I'm assuming you do. If not, and your only desire is to see mountains and temples then you will find yourself more than satisfied in Chiang Rai.

Mai Sai is one hour north and I believe they have maintains and temples there as well. although I can't remember (I seem to recall a big river) because I was totally focused on the hill tribe boys.
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

Air Asia also fly from Don Muang to Chiang Rai but their last flight is at 16.20
Jun

Post by Jun »

A night in Silom and an afternoon flight on the following day has very little risk. Also takes all the stress out of it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Dodger wrote: Lion Air operates regular low cost flights to Chiang Rai from Don Muang if by chance you miss your connection at Suvarnabhumi
There are no flights ex-DMK to Chiang Rai that rice connoisseur could catch - unless he hires a helicopter from BKK! It's either an interline connection at BKK (which should be possible) or overnight in Bangkok.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Utapao now operates flights (Lion Air) to/from Chiang Rai.

Only 45 minutes to Pattaya with taxi/van @ 200 THB.

Someone traveling from Chiang Rai to Pattaya may want to consider this.