Suvarnabhumi two hour layover to catch a flight – too risky?

Anything and everything about Thailand
ก้นconnoisseur

Re: Suvarnabhumi two hour layover to catch a flight – too risky?

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Dodger wrote:
Mai Sai is one hour north and I believe they have maintains and temples there as well. although I can't remember (I seem to recall a big river) because I was totally focused on the hill tribe boys.
Sounds attractive on many levels. Thanks Dodger.
If you already have a boy lined up you should be all set. I'm assuming you do. If not …
No one lined up but as was pointed out on Trongpai’s thread on Chiang Rai:

ilz wrote:
I would not forget the only gay bar in Chiang Rai - Regency Boys Bar- which keeps the easy-going atmosphere of what were the bars in Thailand, say, 20 years ago ... I was there two months ago (report at http://llz.blogspot.com/2018/10/blast-i ... g-rai.html )
My blog :
http://llz.blogspot.com/
Jun wrote:
A night in Silom and an afternoon flight on the following day has very little risk.
Not from my memory of Silom, LOL.

Seriously, is BKK worth the hassle anymore? Sky high drink prices (as well as everything else). The last time I was there a few years ago they wanted about 500 baht for a Chang beer. I declined and the hawker outside followed me for a block trying to convince me to go in.
Also takes all the stress out of it.
But point well taken Jun. Btw, I’ve never taken the airport line into BKK (that’s how long it’s been). That may be a stress free option. I hate taxis and got spoiled when, before Suvarnabhumi, it was 25 mins and 250 baht on a good night.

Dodger wrote:
Utapao now operates flights (Lion Air) to/from Chiang Rai.
Not from what I could find on their web site. Thai Lion Air? No CR option on their drop down menu, only Chiang Mai.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Dodger wrote:Utapao now operates flights (Lion Air) to/from Chiang Rai.
I think you must mean connecting flights. I also can't see any non-stop on any schedules. All are connections with total flight times over 7 hours. If you google Chiang Rai to Utapao, there will see a Thai Lion non-stop flight at 08:25. However look closely and you see that Google interprets Chiang Rai as being Chiang Mai - goodness knows why!

Don't TG and Thai Smile have an interline connection? I thought that was one reason for TG starting up Thai Smile!
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Oops!!!

Sorry for the misinformation. All flights between Pattaya (Utapao) and Chiang Rai appear to be connections.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Here’s the latest update for anyone still following this thread. I went to the local Thai Airways office to find out my options. The very helpful lady there said if I purchase a second Thai Smile ticket I should bring both tickets when I check-in for the first and they will send my luggage on to Chiang Rai and give me a boarding pass for my second flight out of BKK.

However, once there, I must pass through immigration and cannot do it in CR. I asked what would happen if the first flight was delayed and she said Thai would “take care of it” because they are the same company. They can’t help me get through immigration faster but she said if you show your boarding pass for the next flight sometimes they help you through.

Once through, I would go straight upstairs, through security and on to my next departure gate. She assured me with several “don’t worry”s because Thai says you can do it in 1 hour and 15 mins. Of course I got none of this in writing, LOL.

So this eliminates the time-consuming luggage reclaim and second check-in counter. I’m concerned about where the second gate might be as Suvarnabhumi is sprawling. I also wonder what the chances are of my luggage actually getting to CR given the time constraints.

It all still seems tight but I am feeling better about it and will have to decide soon. So that’s the update for anyone who might find themselves in a similar situation. Thanks again for all the input.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ก้นconnoisseur wrote:I also wonder what the chances are of my luggage actually getting to CR given the time constraints.
I wouldn't worry about that. If your luggage doesn't make it all you have to do is go to the lost luggage office, tell them where you're staying, and they'll deliver your luggage by the next day - sometimes even the same day.

Just keep a couple days worth of clothing in your carry-on to make sure and you'll be fine.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I also wouldn’t worry. Your transfer has already been vastly helped by not having to collect your bag and re-check in. TG and Thai Smile tend to depart from the east end of BKK - gates A, B and C - so that should make the transfer even easier. Also if for any reason TG is late and you miss the Thai Smile connection, you won’t have to purchase a new ticket as you will automatically. be put on the next flight. You may still have to pay for a hotel, but you would have to do that anyway with a very late arrival.

If it’s any consolation, I was on TG yesterday. Left BKK on time at 2:00 pm and arrived in HKG 15 minutes early!!
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Gaybutton wrote:I wouldn't worry about that. If your luggage doesn't make it all you have to do is go to the lost luggage office, tell them where you're staying, and they'll deliver your luggage by the next day - sometimes even the same day.
Yes, good point. This has happened to me more than once on international flights.

fountainhall wrote:I also wouldn’t worry. Your transfer has already been vastly helped by not having to collect your bag and re-check in. TG and Thai Smile tend to depart from the east end of BKK - gates A, B and C - so that should make the transfer even easier.
Very good to know. That’s one of the best things about this message board, getting experienced information and advice. Thanks Gaybutton and fountainhall.