Certificate of Residency...Change

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Certificate of Residency...Change

Post by Undaunted »

I have over the years bought and sold 2 cars and more motorcycles than I can remember. Today after waiting a long time to give my paperwork I was told only that I must return with a copy of my green book and a bill of sale.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Certificate of Residency...Change

Post by Gaybutton »

You're not making sense to me. You're saying that in order to get a residence certificate, now you have to have bought either a car or motorbike?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Yes, you must show proof of sale and or proof of purchase.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Even if you've never owned a car or motorbike ?

What in the world does ownership of a car or motorbike have to do with whether you're a legitimate resident? Many people living in Thailand legitimately sooner or later have need of a residence certificate, but have never owned a motor vehicle of any kind in Thailand.

A residence certificate is necessary, for example, if a person is applying for or renewing a driving license. I know of no law that says you have to own a motor vehicle in order to drive one. And who would buy a motor vehicle before having a license to drive it?

Having to present vehicle ownership documents in order to get a residence certificate makes zero sense to me. What does one have to do with the other?

You mentioned buying and selling cars and motorbikes. Are you sure an interest in buying or selling another one didn't have anything to do with it?
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Hmm, just last week I renewed my retirement visa and the only proof of residence Immigration wanted was a letter from my condo stating that I rented a condo there.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

As I was getting the certificate for the sale of a motor vehicle I realize you need one for a license also but have no idea what if anything else would be needed for that, it has never been needed for a retirement visa other than standard proof of where you are currently living.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I was getting the certificate for the sale of a motor vehicle
Then that explains it. Apparently the documents they want depend on the reason you need the residence certificate.

Also, nobody needs a residence certificate to apply for the retirement visa. All anyone needs for the retirement visa is acceptable evidence that shows where you are living. You can show a rental agreement, a letter from the owner of your building, bills and/or other correspondence addressed to you at your residence address, etc. A residence certificate has nothing to do with visa applications and nobody will be asked to produce one.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

GB thanks for explaining the explanation of my explanation :!:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:GB thanks for explaining the explanation of my explanation :!:
Your explanation of your explanation needed an explanation . . .
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I have a house yellow book which can, in Chiang Mai, be used instead of a certificate of residence for most purposes. You can even get a pink ID card with it if you want (I never have).

The exception is purchase or sale of motor vehicles. You could once use a yellow book for this and this use was stopped abruptly (so abruptly that some people with new vehicles on order had the dealer take them to immigration to get one, so that they could take delivery.)

The reason given was that there was so much fraud with stolen green books and stolen vehicles that they insisted on the proof of address incorporating a photo. That's probably a true explanation of their motivation since the Land Traffic Office cannot benefit from the unreceipted "fees" charged for expediting certificates of residence, which are issued by immigration. Whether it actual reduces crime or not is another issue.