Certificate of Residence

Anything and everything about Thailand
thewayhelooks
Been liked: 41 times

#1 Certificate of Residence

Postby thewayhelooks » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Yesterday, in the thread about red licence plates, I made a comment regarding my new car that I had to go to Immigration today to get a certificate of residence for the Honda dealer. It's a requirement apparently. Anyway I sauntered in to Immigration anticipating a five minute visit, only to be told of a rule change that came into effect yesterday. (Just my luck). If you want to get a certificate, you now have to go to your embassy in Bangkok. This was news to my car dealer but he called Immigration and verified it.
If it's not one thing, it's another.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 580 times

#2 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby Gaybutton » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:09 pm

thewayhelooks wrote:If you want to get a certificate, you now have to go to your embassy in Bangkok.

Please explain a little further. What do they want you to get from the embassy? How long is whatever you get valid? Is it something you can also get at an outreach? Is there a fee involved?

And once you have whatever it is, do you have to return to immigration and bring it with you?

If you go to the embassy, please see if you can get us the answers to those. While you're at it, you might see if they have any updated information about the proof-of-income statement.

Undaunted
Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 211 times

#3 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby Undaunted » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:57 pm

thewayhelooks wrote:If you want to get a certificate, you now have to go to your embassy in Bangkok.

If this is so it will affect the buying and selling of any motor vehicle as well as getting or renewing a drivers license.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 580 times

#4 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby Gaybutton » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Undaunted wrote:as well as getting or renewing a drivers license.

Very good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Up2u
Liked: 240 times
Been liked: 78 times

#5 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby Up2u » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 pm

The American embassy does not issue Residence Certificates, not sure what the OP means. Does he mean Thai Immigration at Chaeng Wattana?

thewayhelooks
Been liked: 41 times

#6 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby thewayhelooks » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:55 am

Up2u. Immigration in Pattaya. Will call my embassy this morning and return to Immigration this afternoon. Let's see what happens.

Bob
Been liked: 22 times

#7 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:45 am

Up2u wrote:The American embassy does not issue Residence Certificates, not sure what the OP means. Does he mean Thai Immigration at Chaeng Wattana?

You sure about that? The US Consulate here in Chiangmai issues them (for $50.00) which can be used for driver's licenses applications (or other matters requiring a residency certificate).

Immigration here in Chiangmai issues them for free (as apparently the law requires) if you want to wait almost a month to get one; alternatively, one can get one via one of the visa agencies here for 500 baht with next day service.

2lz2p
Liked: 78 times
Been liked: 51 times

#8 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby 2lz2p » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Yes - the US Embassy ACS unit does issue residence certificates which are accepted by the Land Transport Department for driver licenses and registering ownership of vehicles. The fee is $50 https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/vehicle-license-affidavit/

I also received an email today from someone that also was unable to obtain a residence certificate from Pattaya Immigration:
Went to pattaya immigration today for paper to bye motor cycle was told at front desk they were no longer able to provide paper and would have to apply to british embassey as somebody has been caught with fake papers

As mentioned, you take the residence affidavit to the Land Transport Office - no need to deal with Immigration. The residence affidavit is a notarization service, so it should be available at an outreach visit - but, those have become few and far between from US ACS and the Affidavit are valid for use only if they are not over 30 days old.

Up2u
Liked: 240 times
Been liked: 78 times

#9 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby Up2u » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 pm

2lz2p wrote:Yes - the US Embassy ACS unit does issue residence certificates which are accepted by the Land Transport Department for driver licenses and registering ownership of vehicles. The fee is $50 https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/vehicle-license-affidavit/

I also received an email today from someone that also was unable to obtain a residence certificate from Pattaya Immigration:
Went to pattaya immigration today for paper to bye motor cycle was told at front desk they were no longer able to provide paper and would have to apply to british embassey as somebody has been caught with fake papers

As mentioned, you take the residence affidavit to the Land Transport Office - no need to deal with Immigration. The residence affidavit is a notarization service, so it should be available at an outreach visit - but, those have become few and far between from US ACS and the Affidavit are valid for use only if they are not over 30 days old.

So what supporting documents does ACS require?

Bob
Been liked: 22 times

#10 Re: Certificate of Residence

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Up2u wrote: So what supporting documents does ACS require?

Can't speak about the US Embassy in Bangkok but the Consulate here in Chiangmai wants to see a lease or yellow book along with a look-see at your passport pages. Also, there is an Affidavit one needs to complete, sign, and have signed/notarized by the Consular Official. You can get the Affidavit form from the US Embassy or Consulate website (note: there are two forms - one specifically for Chiangmai and one specifically for Bangkok). It's this Affidavit that you use to buy a car, get a driver's license, etc.

Return to “Thailand”