Protecting valuables

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jogger

Protecting valuables

Post by Jogger »

The chief of Pattaya's finest - Pol Col Apichai Krobpetch - was shown in a video arresting a lady boy who stole cash and travelers' checks worth 125,000 baht from an Australian tourist last weekend.

On Sunday John Glover Barnett, 71, took a lady boy to sleep with him at his South Pattaya room.

After his exertions the tourist fell asleep and the lady boy stole his money, reported Pattaya Online News on Facebook.

Missing was 2,500 Australian dollars and 35,000 baht in cash and 1,000 US dollars in American Express travelers' checks.

Police inquiries led to the rented room of thirty year old Jaruwit "Num" Khruasaeng.

Num was taken in to the police station where he faced the chief along with evidence of clothes he wore during the commission of the crime and two remaining checks.

Num said that he had already given away the cash to family and friends who had been there for him when he was in dire straits.

He didn't dare cash the travelers' checks.

He said that he had lost his job.

Police found that he had ten previous offences for drug use.

He was charged with theft during the hours of darkness and detained.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/10 ... pensioner/

I notice in the video the Mosaik is featured.
Gaybutton

Re: Protecting valuables

Post by Gaybutton »

Jogger wrote:I notice in the video the Mosaik is featured.
I think we all realize this sort of thing can, and does, happen anywhere. The thief came up with a nice bullshit story for the police too. My guess us they don't believe his story any more than I do. He should have said, "Gee, I thought that was my tip." That they might believe . . .

The important thing about the incident is it serves as a reminder to all of us that if you're going to take a stranger to your room, make sure your valuables are locked in a safe or if the room doesn't have a safe, then very well hidden and inaccessible.

When you've got a boy in your room, a boy who doesn't know you and has no reason to care about you, and you've got more money than he can make in a year where he can find it, what do you think he's likely to do?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jogger wrote: Missing was 2,500 Australian dollars and 35,000 baht in cash and 1,000 US dollars in American Express travelers' checks.
What the fuck was this idiot doing with this much cash in the room? :roll:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:What the fuck was this idiot doing with this much cash in the room?
That's my question too - and unfortunately it's a question that has had to be asked so many times over the years that I've lost count. Even more idiotic is bringing a stranger to your room, but not taking proper precautions to protect your money and valuables. What are these people thinking? While nobody has a right to steal from others, I find it very difficult to be sympathetic when people like this end up losing a lot of money, and the catalyst is their own negligence.

***A fool and his money are soon parted***
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

I would hazard a guess that the victim brought the lad back to his room at the end of an evening where he had had more drinks than he would normally consume.
Reason and common sense went out of the window to his cost.
Guess most of us have at some time done something that we would not repeat when we are in full control of our senses
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

traveller123 wrote:Guess most of us have at some time done something that we would not repeat when we are in full control of our senses
He was in full control of his senses - maybe - before leaving his room, unless he was already drunk. He easily could have locked away all that money and headed out the door with only the amount he would need for that night, or at least could afford to lose.

If he was already drunk, on drugs, or whatever before leaving his room and failed to take precautions, that's his own fault and his own negligence.

It didn't even have to be that particular thief. Every so often a hotel maid is caught stealing from guests when they're not in the room. Only last week a man staying in a Pattaya hotel was caught on a security camera entering another hotel guest's room when the guest was out. The thief was a farang.

In other words, it's your own responsibility to take precautions and protect your cash and valuables.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Putting the cash in the safe is a no brainer if doing long time. He had to be barking mad to miss that.

Slightly more difficult is taking such precautions with your phone, considering logistics & convenience.

Also, I keep reading about lady boys stealing. Maybe it is dodgy accounting & bias on my part, but it seems like the proportion of lady boy thefts discussed is way in excess of the proportion of lady boys to boys.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:Maybe it is dodgy accounting & bias on my part
Not at all. Most lady-boys are perfectly nice and honest people. But they're not the ones farang victims are likely to encounter. It's the ones along Beach Road and Walking Street that you have to be careful of. Those are the ones trying to victimize tourists. After all, there will be many more potential victims in those areas than anywhere else and the lady-boy thieves are right there to prey on them if they get a chance.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I hope at least the sex was good!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Undaunted wrote:
Jogger wrote: Missing was 2,500 Australian dollars and 35,000 baht in cash and 1,000 US dollars in American Express travelers' checks.
What the fuck was this idiot doing with this much cash in the room? :roll:
Not at all uncommon. Many farang bring loads of cash to Thailand and exchange it here, enough to cover their expenses for months.