Protecting valuables

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Protecting valuables

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Swing wrote:Is there a definitive answer?
Technically the definitive answer is Thai law says the actual passport must be on the foreigner's person at all times.

Realistically, hardly anyone carries around their actual passport unless they are going to use it for something. It is wise to at least have a copy of the main page and current visa.

If it helps, I don't recall any western farang who has ever been arrested or fined for carrying only a copy unless arrested in connection with some other crime.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Captain Swing wrote:This thread reminds me of a question that pops up now and then: is it necessary to carry the actual passport around with you, or will a copy suffice? It obviously seems much safer to carry a copy and leave the actual passport in the safe, but sometimes it's said that he police won't accept a copy and insist that foreigners carry the passport itself. Is there a definitive answer?
I recall earlier that a higher up in the Police said a copy of passport is sufficient. You can google for more info, pro and con. For me the risk of losing my passport far outweighs the risk of not carrying it. I know of expats that don't even carry a copy of their passport or even ID.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/ ... all-times/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:I know of expats that don't even carry a copy of their passport or even ID.
Not even any form of ID? Why? If the police ever ask for ID, I think they're going to regret that decision. If there is a valid, logical reason not to carry any ID at all, I'd like to know what it is.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: Not even any form of ID? Why? If the police ever ask for ID, I think they're going to regret that decision. If there is a valid, logical reason not to carry any ID at all, I'd like to know what it is.
I really don't know why! I was in a car with this gentleman and as we approached a police check point he began to get nervous. Luckily we were waved through. Just habit on his part.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Thai law requires you to carry your passport. Years ago I was stopped on the highway at a roadblock, showed a copy and paid 500 bt. I had shirts made with a zippered pocket on the inside. Since then - no problems.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Geezer wrote: I had shirts made with a zippered pocket on the inside.
I have trousers modified with zip up pockets on the inside. Actually, the first couple were done in the shop houses near Baan Dok Mai. I then had a number of pockets made in one of them so I can just sew them into new trousers myself.

These are ideal for transporting cash to Thailand, or if you need to carry the passport.