British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 560 times

#11 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby Gaybutton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:07 pm

fountainhall wrote:I have no idea if an increase is in the works, but it would not surprise me.

Shhhhhhh. Don't give them any ideas . . . .

Does the UK embassy charge for the Certificate of Income letter? The USA embassy charges US $50 (about 1600 baht at current exchange rates) for it because it is a notarized form and that's the embassy's per page fee for notary seals.

I'll never forget the first time I went to the embassy to get the proof-of-income statement, as the embassy calls it. I went with a stack of documentation to prove my income. When I got to the service window the agent said, "Oh, we don't need any of that. You're swearing on a notarized statement that you're telling the truth about your income, so we take your word for it."

I said, "You just take my word for it? I don't have to prove anything? Just swear I'm telling the truth?"

She said, "That's right."

I said, "You mean I could tell you I have more money coming in each month than Bill Gates and you take my word for it?"

She said, "Right again."

That's how many Americans manage to get away with cheating and lying about their actual income.

Up2u
Liked: 227 times
Been liked: 77 times

#12 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby Up2u » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:31 pm

History shows us existing visa holders would be exempt from any increase, some long-time expats use 400k not 800k.

Jun
Liked: 128 times
Been liked: 89 times

#13 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby Jun » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 am

A slightly naive question, but my UK employer can provide documentation showing what my salary is. Also, there are monthly salary statements and bank statements to support this.
Would there not be similar documentation for pensions that does the same thing, which should also, in theory be suitable as proof of income ?

This is all very academic in my case. I'm not ready to live in Thailand just yet, but since the majority of my income is likely to be from investments, the lump sum in a Thai bank account would be by far the easiest hurdle to clear. It's just unfortunate they don't seem to allow it to be invested more effectively.

As for the people who cannot rustle up 800,000 baht, I presume they would have to go home or find another country to move to ?
Buying residency rights is often expensive.

windwalker
Liked: 156 times
Been liked: 53 times

#14 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby windwalker » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Gaybutton wrote:That's how many Americans manage to get away with cheating and lying about their actual income.

Well, maybe. I do know an expat that does lie, sort of. He writes down the minimum income of 65K Baht/month even though his actual income is 4 times that.

Nonetheless, doing away with the income certification letter will make it a hardship on those who use that method, including myself and ????

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#15 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby Gaybutton » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Does the UK embassy charge a fee for the letter ?

windwalker
Liked: 156 times
Been liked: 53 times

#16 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby windwalker » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:38 am

Yes. Not sure of the amount, but yes. Something equivalent to what those from USA are charged.

Gaybutton
Site Admin

#17 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby Gaybutton » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 am

fountainhall
Liked: 128 times
Been liked: 369 times

#18 Re: British Embassy Bangkok to stop Certification of Income Letters

Postby fountainhall » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 am

If I heard that rather rambling conversation correctly, proof of income coming from the UK is not acceptable. The only alternative to the 800,000 Bt. Is a bankbook showing that monthly payments of a minimum of 65,000 Bt. have been received during the previous 12 months. I wonder how many of the 3,000 presently using the income letter will eventually be able to show such receipts.

Return to “Thailand”