Looking for a More Up-Market Type of Gay Night Out?

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Looking for a More Up-Market Type of Gay Night Out?

Post by fountainhall »

Posters have occasionally asked where it's possible to meet non-commercial gays who do not visit the usual expat/tourist haunts. It's not so easy but there are some possibilities.

Not to be confused with GCircuit who organise the massive and massively popular gay parties around Songkran, local Bangkok company G-Spot Entertainment has been organizing gay-themed parties every month at several of Bangkok’s hotels.

It started four years ago with Sunday Gay Nights (every Sunday) at Maggie Choo’s bar. Maggie Choo’s is not so easy to find. You have to get to the Novotel Fenix Silom – nearer the river end of Silom almost at Charoen Krung Road – and then find an old wooden Chinese door outside. That’s the entrance. Downstairs and under the hotel you pass through a small Chinese restaurant into a much bigger space. With its dark brick walls, the bar here suggests that it was indeed at one time the underground vault of the East India Company Bank. The central bar is surrounded by lots of leather-covered divans and thick padded easy chairs, tables with old style lamps and tall statues. Near one corner is a baby grand piano and room for a jazz combo. If you are after atmosphere, this bar is unique and has a ton of it. Until 10:00 pm, there is background music and dimmed lighting. After 10:00 the mood changes with ‘live’ jazz every night.

As you can see, these are not twink parties. More for the late-twenties and up crowd. Now there are other G-Spot organized gay Theme Parties with live bands. One is at Vertigo TOO on the 60th Floor of the Banyan Tree Hotel on Sathorn (just under the open-air Vertigo bar and restaurant). This takes place on the first Saturday of every month. There is free entry and buy-one-get-one free drinks from 6:00 – 9:00 pm. After 9:00 pm entry is Bt. 500 which comes with 2 Finlandia vodka drinks. But there are different themed-dress codes for each party which may not be to everyone’s taste. So check on the G-Spot site.

Other G-Spot events include a TGIF gay party on the last Friday of every month at the Penthouse of the Hilton on Sukhumvit, and a Splash Out afternoon Pool Party at the Double Tree by Hilton on Sukhumvit 26 on the first Saturday afternoon of every month. Although mostly gay, note that both tend to attract a number of women.

G-Spot was founded by a guy from Hat Yai. Ken Kreangsak Leing’s G-Spot parties could not be further from Soi 4 and Soi Twilight. Aimed much more at the local gay higher-so crowd but also at expats and tourists, the parties include great DJs, hot guys and, unfortunately as far as I am concerned, drag queens – but they are said to be among the best drag artistes and are very popular with the local crowd!

Restarting Bangkok’s Gay Pride March

Early last year there was a lot of talk about a re-start of the Bangkok Gay Pride Parade scheduled for November. That was then postponed into 2018 because of late King’s cremation. I have heard nothing more about any Bangkok Pride Parade since then. Previous Parades 12 – 15 years ago were small scale and failed, largely I believe because they were mostly run by commercial gay establishments. In Taipei by comparison the massive annual Parades are organised largely by individuals.

One of Khun Ken’s hopes for 2019 is that he will lead the charge to bring back Bangkok Pride. I suspect that if anyone can do it successfully, he has more going for him than most others.

G-Spot Entertainment has a website and a facebook page– but they are 2 months out of date!

http://gspotent.com/

For more information, probably best to check with the hotels -

Maggie Choo - https://www.facebook.com/r.php?r=101
Novotel Fenix Silom – 02 206 9200
Vertigo TOO - 02 679 1200
Hilton Sukhumvit - 02 620 6666
Doubletree by Hilton - 02-649 6666
Undaunted

Re: Looking for a More Up-Market Type of Gay Night Out?

Post by Undaunted »

No, I prefer what looks like ruff trade preferrably just out of jail, broke and submissive!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Re: Looking for a More Up-Market Type of Gay Night Out?

Post by Trongpai »

Sunday nights at Maggie Choo's for G-Spot or the gay night and by that it means they have second rate drag shows. Some gays attend but vastly out numbered by youngish breeders.

Vertigo Too, 60th floor Banyan Tree, 500B door charge unless you're in a "costume" in which case it's free. Runs the first Saturday of the month only.

I've been a few times by chance and would not go out of my way to attend again.

For upmarket venues where gays frequent but really quite mixed that I like and keep going back to:

https://www.vesperbar.co/..... manly strong cocktails
and
http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/havana-social.htm ...amazing Havana! Getting in the place reminds me of the opening of Get Smart.

There's lots of others that we've been to but would not go back regularly.