Thepprasit Night Market Raid

Anything and everything about Thailand
richsilver

Thepprasit Night Market Raid

Post by richsilver »

Pirated goods seized in Pattaya crackdown

by Chaiyot Pupattanapong

August 5, 2018

CHON BURI: Police from the Tourist Police Bureau and the Technology Crime Suppression Divisiion seized more than 10,000 items of pirated merchandises in a raid on about 40 spots at Thepprasit Pattaya Market, known to be the biggest source of contraband in Pattaya, on Saturday night.

The raid, led by Pol Maj Gen Surachate Hakpan, deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau, began at about 11pm.

The goods confiscated are fakes of various brand name products such as clothes, perfume, electrical appliances, watches and handbags.

Pol Maj Gen Surachate said the fake products caused between 3-4 million baht damage.

He said the action was part of the ongoing cooperation between Thailand and the United States in the suppression against sources of pirated products and violation of intellectual property.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/ ... -crackdown
Gaybutton

Re: Thepprasit Night Market Raid

Post by Gaybutton »

Actually there are two night markets on Thepprasit. I'm guessing the one that was raided was the one closest to Sukhumvit. That one is the largest and has been there the longest. The second night market has been there less than three years and is smaller, but still quite large.

I wonder why the police waited until 11pm. Many of the stalls close before 11pm. Oh well, I'm sure they'll all be right back in business within a week, as usual.

The media never says what the police do with the confiscated products. I never hear anything about any of it being destroyed. My guess is after certain personnel take what they want, the vendors might very well buy it all back and it's business as usual.
Farangholiday

Post by Farangholiday »

I'm interested in visiting secondhand markets,are these the only ones in Pattaya?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Farangholiday wrote:are these the only ones in Pattaya?
No. They are all over the place, some large, some small. You might like the one on Jomtien Beach Road. That one is fairly large, seems to attract a lot of farang, and so far no raids.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Gaybutton wrote:
Farangholiday wrote:are these the only ones in Pattaya?
You might like the one on Jomtien Beach Road. That one is fairly large, seems to attract a lot of farang, and so far no raids.
If you by farang refer to Russians then yes. I would guess 19 out of 20 whites there are Russians. Even plenty of the Thai vendors there seem to have learned speak some Russian to conduct business at that market.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote:If you by farang refer to Russians then yes.
I fail to see what difference it makes whether most customers are Russians or from anywhere else. The point is it's a fairly large night market that attracts farang.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Gaybutton wrote:
SP55 wrote:If you by farang refer to Russians then yes.
I fail to see what difference it makes whether most customers are Russians or from anywhere else. The point is it's a fairly large night market that attracts farang.
Then I kind of fail to understand why you specifically point out farangs.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote:Then I kind of fail to understand why you specifically point out farangs.
Well, let's see. I've got a farang posting that he wants to visit this kind of market and I tell him about one popular among farang, but you don't understand why. Ok . . .
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Anyone who goes to ANY market anywhere in the world must be nuts. Let alone in Thailand. It’s all crap goods....

There are no Russians in Pattaya anymore, let alone now in low season. What are you on about?
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Gaybutton wrote:
SP55 wrote:Then I kind of fail to understand why you specifically point out farangs.
Well, let's see. I've got a farang posting that he wants to visit this kind of market and I tell him about one popular among farang, but you don't understand why. Ok . . .
If you think russians see any similarity with you, you don't know anything about russians:p