Pattaya more expensive

Anything and everything about Thailand
Farangholiday

#1 Pattaya more expensive

Postby Farangholiday » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:13 pm

To be honest I think this maybe my last visit to Thailand,for a while anyway and to be frank its because I no longer have the money to throw around like I used to when I was younger.

I usually take my holiday every year for 7 weeks as I have done for the last 17 years in Pattaya.

I have been here 2 weeks now and I may leave early and head to the Phillipines.

I find now with the currency down things very expensive and I often wonder why beer bars need to charge over Western prices for drinks.

I paid 120baht last night in a certain Sunee Beer bar for a sprite,maybe they seen me coming who knows but I stopped at one and left,even being a Friday night I was the only farang there,so I voted with my feet.

Another bar had reasonable drink prices at 65baht and I stayed several hours and bought a few drinks for a boy, the boy drink was the same price.

Even one Go Go bar wanted to charge me 600 baht for a off fee,I decided more on principle not to off the boy.

I really think some bar owners are doing themselves a disfavour by overcharging,I could count the number of farangs in Sunee last night a Friday night on my hands.

Hotels have dropped their prices , some restaurants too, why not bars ?

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 553 times

#2 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby Gaybutton » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Farangholiday wrote:Hotels have dropped their prices , some restaurants too, why not bars ?

Because of "Thai logic." What you discovered in the bars has been going on for several years. Few or no customers, therefore raise the prices.

You figure it out. I gave up trying.

Jun
Liked: 124 times
Been liked: 88 times

#3 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby Jun » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Farangholiday wrote:I often wonder why beer bars need to charge over Western prices for drinks.

You're paying for the drink, plus the premises plus the company of come cute young hosts, which you don't usually get in a western bar. Where you do get employed hosts in the west, the drinks typically start at in excess of 10 Euros.

I'll be interested to find out how you get on in the Philippines.
My general impression was there is not such a good choice of good quality accommodation at a budget price, so I ended up paying more for rooms than in Thailand. After that, almost everything else seemed to be cheaper.
Well, there was an exception of a medical centre who wanted to charge me something in excess of 2200 PHP (1400 THB) to remove some stitches. I delayed that 48 hours and had it done in Pattaya for about 200 THB.

I'm not aware of any host bars in the Philippines. A few gogo type bars, which are apparently expensive and poor. I didn't even try them, as the phone apps seemed to do the trick. Short time fees are in the 500~1000 PHP range & the locals tend to be very good in bed.

I hope this part doesn't sound rude, but if you're happy to move to a country with no host bars, by my logic, you could simulate that by not visiting the host bars in Thailand. Unless I'm missing some entertainment options in the Philippines.

You could also save money in Laos or Cambodia, although with the exception of Phnom Penh, finding boys is much more difficult.

Farangholiday

#4 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby Farangholiday » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:33 am

Interesting thread on Thaivisa website regarding why bars particularly the bars are closing.
Ok mist of it relates to gurlie bars

One poster qouted “punters are fed up with drinks costing more in some dodgy bar than in the capital cities of Europe, Australia etc. it’s not relevant to these bars - there used to be a younger gay crowd visiting - not any more - Jomtien Complex is like God’s waiting room complete with Zimmer frames.“

And he’s right, I wont go into detail but taking several friends to Gay bars the other night whose first time to Pattaya they were shocked at some of the drink prices which are either comparable to Western prices or even more ! Eg Malibu & coke 160b,

I now wont sit in a beer bar and pay 110-120 baht for a beer,and they wonder why they have no customers, :o they are blaming everyone else except themselves

Im going to be frank here and this is my opinion only,there hasn’t been a bar worth going to since Crabby left a few years ago !!

fountainhall
Been liked: 366 times

#5 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby fountainhall » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:14 am

Slightly off topic but still concerning prices, They are rising almost everywhere. At Central Chidlom about 2 weeks ago, amongst other price increases, croissants made on site had increased from Bt. 35 to Bt. 40 and my favourite French marmalade from Bt. 169 to Bt. 185. Over the last 90 days the volatility between the Bt. and the € has been less than half of 1%. Shipping costs will certainly have increased, but a 10% rise?

Farangholiday

#6 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby Farangholiday » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:59 am

I probably have 10 years to retirement,if things keep going the way they are I doubt I could afford to retire in Pattaya.

I certainly wouldn't be able to go out to bars every night,not with those prices and the baht being down vs my currency.

I often wonder how you expats afford it,some of you must of retired on big retirement packages for you to go out to go go bars every night plus own condos, running a motorbike,etc.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 553 times

#7 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby Gaybutton » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Farangholiday wrote:some of you must of retired on big retirement packages for you to go out to go go bars every night plus . . .

Where did you get the idea that we all go out to bars every night?

Speaking only for myself, I rarely go out to the bars at all anymore. That's not because I can't afford it. I can easily afford it - every night. I don't go because I'm not a drinker and I just don't enjoy them.

Some of my friends do go to the bars virtually every night and they do just fine financially.

Has it occurred to you that there are other things to do besides going to bars every night? If I was doing the same thing night after night, whether I could afford it or not, I'd become bored and burnt out on whatever it is - and that wouldn't take very long.

If the reason you're considering retirement in Pattaya is primarily to go to bars every night, just my opinion, but I'd say that's the wrong reason to retire here.

It's one thing to come to Pattaya for occasional holidays. It's quite another to live here.

If you really want to try retiring to Pattaya, my suggestion is before committing yourself, first come for a long-term stay - at least six months. Leave yourself an escape plan if after a lengthy stay you decide this is not what you want after all. But if you commit yourself to life in Pattaya, or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter, with no way to change your mind, not leaving yourself a way out, and based solely on your experiences here on holidays, then I'd say you're making a serious mistake.

As for me, I'm very happy here and living in Pattaya is the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'd do the same thing tomorrow. But I know many others who had been living here and later changed their minds and left. Some, based on their financial status, would like to leave, but they're stuck here.

Make SURE this is really what you want so that you don't end up like those others.

gerefan
Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 32 times

#8 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby gerefan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Farangholiday wrote:some of you must of retired on big retirement packages for you to go out to go go bars every night plus . . .

It's one thing to come to Pattaya for occasional holidays. It's quite another to live here.

If you really want to try retiring to Pattaya, my suggestion is before committing yourself, first come for a long-term stay - at least six months. Leave yourself an escape plan if after a lengthy stay you decide this is not what you want after all. But if you commit yourself to life in Pattaya, or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter, with no way to change your mind, not leaving yourself a way out, and based solely on your experiences here on holidays, then I'd say you're making a serious mistake.

Wise words indeed.

Jun
Been liked: 88 times

#9 Re: Pattaya more expensive

Postby Jun » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:12 am

The last time I went into a European gogo bar, they wanted 10 Euros for a drink, which is about 370 baht.

This was over 10 years ago and they had a grand total of 2 boys, neither of whom floated my boat, so it was not comparable with Pattaya.

Return to “Thailand”