U.S. Dollar Strong against THB

Anything and everything about Thailand
scottish-guy

Re: U.S. Dollar Strong against THB

Post by scottish-guy »

fountainhall wrote:Lionel Bart was never more than a pretty mediocre lyricist...
I'm sure he spoke very highly of you :-p

Meanwhile:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 85282.html
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I’m delighted to hear it! He was gay long before I came out! Re Blitz, I think Noel Coward deserves the last word. He didn’t like the show at all - “twice as loud and twice as long as the real thing.” And the “real” thing lasted 8 months!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

scottish-guy wrote:As you might expect GB I checked before posting!
I see. Ok, then we're both right. And this goes on my "who cares" list.

Now, gents, back to the topic. Enough about lyrics, Lionel Bart, or anything else that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. I think everyone already knows what comes next from me: First it's "If you want to post about those things, start a topic on the 'Everything Else' forum," followed by my usual threat about what I'll be doing with any more off-topic posts.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Well Trump strikes again. President Bone Spurs has hit us U. S. expats in the pocket book (again) by meddling in the Feds business of setting monetary policy. The USD/THB exchange rate has tumbled almost one baht in just one day and is now well below 33. Fed rates affect pensioners (me) as many of us invest and save more conservatively.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/21/dollar- ... ators.html
Jun

Post by Jun »

Opposing interest rate rises that are considered necessary to prevent the economy overheating is exactly the type of policy that got Turkey into it's current predicament. 10 years ago, 1 TRL bought 0.84 USD. Now it buys 0.17 USD.
I note that Trump has also raised borrowing & has debt is on an unsustainable path. He's done that when the economy was doing just fine anyway, not in response to some economic crisis or war.
None of this helps the long term outlook for the USD. Also, currencies tend not to remain as the global reserve currency for ever & severely incompetent management of the economy can only increase the risk of a change.

As for investing and saving more conservatively, well if a significant portion of living expenses are in Baht, then it could make sense to minimize currency risk by investing in Thailand & other Asian economies.