Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Post by Undaunted »

The Nation reports government likely to pass bill that will grant legal recognition for gay relationships: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30349607
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Re: Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Post by fountainhall »

Let's hope it happens, but there is an important caveat at the end of that article -
Professor Amara Pongsapich, former chair of the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand, said the bill would soon be in place if collaboration continues between state authorities and civil society. “We still need a ‘champion’ from the judiciary side to push forward this movement,” she said. “I have talked with several judges about this issue and I am worried.”
Jun

Post by Jun »

That's quite an enlightened & liberal policy for a military junta.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The old saying is..."Be careful what you ask for because you might get it" comes to mind.

Marriage, the way it's structured in modern society, is totally outdated in my opinion.

Over 50% of marriages in the U.S fail and I just wonder what percentage of marriages stay together (even when the couple doesn't want to stay together) because of legal implications which of course always involves finances. The lawyers are then laughing all the way to the bank.

Any system in the world that had a 50% failure rate would immediately be discarded - so why not marriage? If the aviation industry had flight control systems which had a 50% failure rate and half the planes that took off ended up crashing who would want to fly on a plane?

I like the spiritual bonding part (the part that really matters) but the legally bonding part is for the birds.

As a gay person I could care less what laws society passes or doesn't pass related to marriage, at least not now until the failed system (Marriage) is revamped with some proven results.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:Marriage, the way it's structured in modern society, is totally outdated in my opinion.
Even though you might be absolutely correct, in my opinion the real issue is the right to be treated equally. As a gay person, I want the right to decide for myself whether I wish to be married or not. I don't appreciate other people telling me, "I have the right because I'm heterosexual, but since you're gay, you don't get to have the same rights I have."

To me, having rights denied to me because of my sexuality is exactly the same as the times when it was, "I'm white, so I get to be free. You're black, so you get to be a slave."

I have no desire to be married and I doubt that will ever change, but I want the right.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:I don't appreciate other people telling me, "I have the right because I'm heterosexual, but since you're gay, you don't get to have the same rights I have."
I agree, but with the kind of age gaps in my relationships I'd be afraid they'd nail me with child support payments in a divorce proceeding... :lol:
Jun

Post by Jun »

I agree also. Marriage seems completely pointless, but if society is going to have this system, then any consenting adults should be permitted to participate.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Writing of civil partnership bill to be finished in September

By King-Oua Laohong

21 Jul 2018

The civil partnership bill for same-sex couples is in the final stages of drafting, which will be completed by September, according to the Justice Ministry.

The minister has put the bill on a fast track, Pitikarn Sitthidej, director general of the Rights and Liberties Protection Department, which is in charge of drafting the bill, said on Friday.

After the drafting is completed by the September deadline, the bill will go to Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister ACM Prajin Janthong to consider putting it for cabinet consideration. If approved, it will be sent to the National Legislative Assembly to ne enacted.

The department will hold the last meeting on the bill on Wednesday.

Some changes may be made to the current 63-section draft, many of which came from hearings on experiences in countries that already have such a law, including Mexico, South Africa, Canada, Australia and England, Ms Pitikarn said.

“Many of Thailand’s 65 million-strong population are LGBT and must be entitled to the same rights and freedom as heterosexual people currently enjoy,” she said.

The justice minister gave four guidelines for the last meeting.

First, he wants to see the department propagate the knowledge about the bill to create an understanding as it involves a sensitive issue in Thai society.

Second, a study must be conducted on how Thailand will endorse the status of couples who entered a civil partnership in another country and what rights they will be entitled to when they come to Thailand.

Third, the bill should start from registering as civil partners and the registering agency should be clearly spelled out -- whether it will be the Interior Ministry or the Justice Ministry.

Fourth, the law will be upgraded to legalise same-sex marriages at a later date.

“Ever since we started pushing the bill, the feedback has been very positive. We receive a lot of information and ideas and 60,000 signed up to support it.

‘We believe the number of people backing the bill is much greater as many are silent supporters,” she said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -september