Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted
Liked: 12 times
Been liked: 183 times

#1 Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Postby Undaunted » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 am

The Nation reports government likely to pass bill that will grant legal recognition for gay relationships: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30349607
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

fountainhall
Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 325 times

#2 Re: Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Postby fountainhall » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am

Let's hope it happens, but there is an important caveat at the end of that article -

Professor Amara Pongsapich, former chair of the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand, said the bill would soon be in place if collaboration continues between state authorities and civil society. “We still need a ‘champion’ from the judiciary side to push forward this movement,” she said. “I have talked with several judges about this issue and I am worried.”

Jun
Liked: 114 times
Been liked: 81 times

#3 Re: Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Postby Jun » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 am

That's quite an enlightened & liberal policy for a military junta.

Dodger
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 134 times

#4 Re: Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Postby Dodger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:06 am

The old saying is..."Be careful what you ask for because you might get it" comes to mind.

Marriage, the way it's structured in modern society, is totally outdated in my opinion.

Over 50% of marriages in the U.S fail and I just wonder what percentage of marriages stay together (even when the couple doesn't want to stay together) because of legal implications which of course always involves finances. The lawyers are then laughing all the way to the bank.

Any system in the world that had a 50% failure rate would immediately be discarded - so why not marriage? If the aviation industry had flight control systems which had a 50% failure rate and half the planes that took off ended up crashing who would want to fly on a plane?

I like the spiritual bonding part (the part that really matters) but the legally bonding part is for the birds.

As a gay person I could care less what laws society passes or doesn't pass related to marriage, at least not now until the failed system (Marriage) is revamped with some proven results.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 516 times

#5 Re: Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Postby Gaybutton » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:24 am

Dodger wrote:Marriage, the way it's structured in modern society, is totally outdated in my opinion.

Even though you might be absolutely correct, in my opinion the real issue is the right to be treated equally. As a gay person, I want the right to decide for myself whether I wish to be married or not. I don't appreciate other people telling me, "I have the right because I'm heterosexual, but since you're gay, you don't get to have the same rights I have."

To me, having rights denied to me because of my sexuality is exactly the same as the times when it was, "I'm white, so I get to be free. You're black, so you get to be a slave."

I have no desire to be married and I doubt that will ever change, but I want the right.

Dodger
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 134 times

#6 Re: Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Postby Dodger » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:05 am

Gaybutton wrote:I don't appreciate other people telling me, "I have the right because I'm heterosexual, but since you're gay, you don't get to have the same rights I have."

I agree, but with the kind of age gaps in my relationships I'd be afraid they'd nail me with child support payments in a divorce proceeding... :lol:

Jun
Liked: 114 times
Been liked: 81 times

#7 Re: Thailand Poised To Pass Gay Partnership Bill

Postby Jun » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:08 am

I agree also. Marriage seems completely pointless, but if society is going to have this system, then any consenting adults should be permitted to participate.

Return to “Thailand”