Unpleasant visitor in Eros

Anything and everything about Thailand
Montree

Unpleasant visitor in Eros

Post by Montree »

I was in Eros last night when a rat ran across the floor near the loos. As no one seemed bothered I assume it's not a rare occurrence.
Undaunted

Re: Unpleasant visitor in Eros

Post by Undaunted »

Montree wrote:I was in Eros last night when a rat ran across the floor near the loos. As no one seemed bothered I assume it's not a rare occurrence.
I had the same thing happen in Big C Extra.....I told one English speaking employee he replied ... we have many. :roll:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Montree wrote:I assume it's not a rare occurrence.
I don't know whether it is or not, but I have never seen a post about it on this or any of the other boards.

I also have never personally seen a rat anywhere in Sunee Plaza, Boystown, or Jomtien Complex. That doesn't mean they aren't there, though.

There has been several recent news articles about a growing rat problem in areas where garbage is not picked up anywhere near often enough. Also food vendors and ordinary people are often quite careless about dumping their own garbage just about anywhere. Of course, when garbage bins are filled to overflowing because the garbage trucks don't come and rotting waste is just sitting there, that is definitely going to attract rats.

If a rat problem exists, I blame the city's failure to collect garbage often enough. The city needs more garbage trucks and more staff. They also need to figure out what to do with all the waste. That has been a serious problem on Koh Larn too.

As usual, there is always plenty of talk about it, but nothing effective is ever done. Maybe it will take a modern day Plague epidemic before anything substantial is done. Maybe they'll just release a bunch of feral cats in those areas - if they do even that . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:
Montree wrote:I assume it's not a rare occurrence.
I don't know whether it is or not, but I have never seen a post about it on this or any of the other boards.

I also have never personally seen a rat anywhere in Sunee Plaza, Boystown, or Jomtien Complex. That doesn't mean they aren't there, though.
Many years ago I was sitting in Soi Twilight at the long time defunct cafe named Yes..Yes..Yes. it was little after all the go go bars closed when a truck came through the soi and sprayed all the drains along the street with some liquid and as if it were a horror movie hundreds of rats ran through the soi, it was quite a scary show.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:as if it were a horror movie hundreds of rats ran through the soi, it was quite a scary show.
Remember the Be High bar in Bangkok, in the Saphan Kwai area? Every time I used to walk up that wretched alleyway leading to that bar I would see rats lurking in the shadows in the soi - right by the garbage, bins of course. The bar is long gone now, but I'll bet those rats are still there.

I hate to even think about where else they are, whether Bangkok, Pattaya, or anywhere.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I loved Be High. It was a great alternative to Soi Twilight.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Gaybutton wrote:The city needs more garbage trucks and more staff.
My BF tells me that being a binman is one of the most lucrative positions going for someone that is doing manual labour in Thailand

Of course its fraught with danger with rats, broken glass and diseases etc... But the recycling and upcycling opportunities can lead to a very nice income! So it might be that the city bin men don't want to share their spoils with any more colleagues!
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Gaybutton wrote:I hate to even think about where else they are, whether Bangkok, Pattaya, or anywhere.
I've recently watched YouTube videos of (mostly straight) nightlife areas in Chiang Mai. There are literally dozens of well-fed looking rats frolicking around the piles of garbage on the otherwise fairly neat streets, as well as the occasional solitary one scurrying across a corridor or alleyway. The guy making the videos is generally horrified, but it's so common he sometimes even warns viewers that a rat scene is coming up. There too it seems to be an issue of not collecting the garbage quickly enough.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Montree wrote:I was in Eros last night when a rat ran across the floor near the loos. As no one seemed bothered I assume it's not a rare occurrence.
You assume right. I have seen a big rat twice there in the last month quickly running across the floor to some hiding.
Last time I was there I didn't see rats but big cockroach on one of the sofas. And if you look around, especially in the toilet area, you see spiderweb with big spiders, here and there.

I love Eros bar and visit regularly, but it would be nice if they paid some cleaning lady a 1000 baht or so to tidy up the place!
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote:I also have never personally seen a rat anywhere in Sunee Plaza, Boystown, or Jomtien Complex. That doesn't mean they aren't there, though.
There was one recently at one of the beer bars in Sunee as I sat and enjoyed my drink. It scurried quickly under cover; more cats are needed.