Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by Undaunted »

Thai government continues to exploit cave boys:

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/1 ... -boys.html
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'll bet those boys will have the most amazing time of their lives. A trip to America and South America to play the sport they love? Prior to their being stranded in the cave, I doubt if any of them ever expected they would ever be able to make any trips outside Thailand. I cannot believe any of them see it as exploitation.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I cannot believe any of them see it as exploitation.
They probably are, but according to the article there is another side to it. Whether the following is fact or opinion, I can't say, but here is what this part of the article says:
But Thailand's military government, eager to share in their glory, has trotted them out for public appearances and interviews. Movie deals are being negotiated. The government has basically become the manager for the boys' public life off the playing field.
Judge for yourselves.

I'm not worried about what is happening with their lives now. They've never had it so good. My concern for them is what they may go through psychologically years from now when they realize the world, and possibly Thailand too, has completely forgotten about them and the cave rescue incident fades from memory.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:My concern for them is what they may go through psychologically years from now when they realize the world, and possibly Thailand too, has completely forgotten about them and the cave rescue incident fades from memory.
I doubt if any of us know. I just spoke to my brother-in-law who followed the cave rescue closely from the UK and who is a psychiatrist. His view is that the boys may not suffer any long term trauma. They were extremely lucky in their isolation in the cave in two respects - they were a group of friends with their Assistant Coach to look after them and maintain their spirits whereas I would probably have gone crazy, and they were anaesthetised during the most traumatic part as the divers got them out of the cave. He reckons the kids will both love the trip and not be disappointed or distressed thereafter since they have their schoolfriends and a tight-knot community for support and to keep their feet on the ground. That's his best assessment.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Educated western parents would see this exploitation as exactly that, however the parents of these boys unfortunately because of fear of the government or an opportunity for financial gain via movie deals, endorsements etc cannot.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Educated western parents would see this exploitation as exactly that
I don't know where you get that from, but even if that is correct, so what? The kind of exploitation that might be going on doesn't seem like anything negative for these boys.

Exploitation or not, those boys are very lucky and are getting to do things they could never have dreamed of before the cave incident. What's the bad part?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: My concern for them is what they may go through psychologically years from now when they realize the world, and possibly Thailand too, has completely forgotten about them and the cave rescue incident fades from memory.
The article states they were originally to be given 6 months out of the spotlight to adjust to normal life.......that was never allowed to happen.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:they were originally to be given 6 months out of the spotlight to adjust to normal life
Normal life came to an end for them the day they walked into that cave.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Normal life would have been back to the life they had before the cave incident with family, friends, school and little fanfare as apposed to a media circus largely orchestrated by the government.