13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by fountainhall »

Media circus? What media circus? A media circus is similar to that surrounding the appointment of Brett Kavanaugh to the US Supreme Court over the last two weeks. The boys have been at school virtually since they left the temple. There have been very few interviews since the thank you party for the thousands involved in the rescue in Bangkok as far as I am aware.

Besides the “six months off” was a reference to the thoughts of overseas doctors and councillors not treating them, made before the boys left hospital and who did not know their physical and psychological condition. It as an uninformed thought based on speculation.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

As I get older, everything reminds me of something else from the past. With this story I can't help thinking of the Dionne Quintuplets. I don't remember their story firsthand, (I'm not THAT old), but I've read about it, and many of you are no doubt familiar with the story. As the first known surviving Quints they were a sensational novelty, known worldwide and the object of huge media attention (this was the 1930's). Sensing there was money to be made, the Ontario provincial government took them away from their parents, made them wards of the government, and turned them into a hugely popular tourist attraction, outdrawing Niagara Falls. They lived in a specially built nursery where paying tourists could watch them from behind screens. Eventually, as interest waned, they were returned to their family, who resented them and mistreated them. They left home at 18, as soon as they could, and went on to live unhappy adult lives, bitterly resenting the way they had been treated as children.

Obviously there are many differences in their story and that of the cave boys. But, to me, there are also disturbing similarities. I can only laugh (bitterly) at the Thai authorities concern that the boys not be exploited, as they busily exploit them as quickly as they can, well aware of the meaning of "strike while the iron's hot."

Maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe the kids are having the time of their lives and maybe their friends and families are only happy for the boys' new celebrity and the opportunities now presented to them. Maybe some of the money that's made will trickle down to the boys, their families and their village. Maybe the whole community will benefit from the attention now focussed on them. Maybe when the boys return there will be no resentment from their friends who stayed home. Maybe the boys will all go on to live normal, ultimately contented lives, with only happy memories of what happened to them after they got out of the cave. Maybe.

As for me, I'm thrilled to see they're coming to New York; I live near there. Do you think I'll be able to see them at Rockefeller Center or somewhere, maybe get some autographs? Dom is my favorite! I haven't been so excited since 1964, when the Beatles arrived. Too bad Ed Sullivan is dead.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Captain Swing wrote:Obviously there are many differences in their story and that of the cave boys. But, to me, there are also disturbing similarities. I can only laugh (bitterly) at the Thai authorities concern that the boys not be exploited, as they busily exploit them as quickly as they can, well aware of the meaning of "strike while the iron's hot."

Maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe the kids are having the time of their lives and maybe their friends and families are only happy for the boys' new celebrity and the opportunities now presented to them . . .

As for me, I'm thrilled to see they're coming to New York; I live near there. Do you think I'll be able to see them at Rockefeller Center or somewhere, maybe get some autographs?
Obviously I do not know the boys, their families and their community. But as another poster said in this thread, he was amazed at the boys, their resilience, happiness and general demeanour. He added they are a credit to this country.

With all respect to Captain Swing, I cannot see any comparison to the example of the Dionne kids. I also only read of their experience. They were babies. They were taken away from their parents. They were made into a sort of Barnum and Bailey sideshow like freaks - not for a few days or a couple of weeks, but for years. After that charade, their parents resented them. Is it any wonder they ended up with severe emotional scars that lasted a lifetime? But do you seriously believe there is anything at all that is similar to the experience of the Thai boys? Sorry but I don't.

The Thai boys live with their obviously loving parents, families, schoolmates and community. Many want to become professional soccer players. Being given the opportunity both to travel and play in tournaments they otherwise would have had no chance even of watching on television must be a massive excitement in their lives. I remember my first visit to New York and how amazed I was. Those boys will no doubt be similarly amazed and have lots of stories to tell their family and friends when they return. If their egos start to get inflated - which i doubt, I am certain their schoolmates will bring them back to reality pretty quickly.

I hope you get your autograph - and perhaps a selfie as well! :o
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

fountainhall wrote:I hope you get your autograph - and perhaps a selfie as well!
I hope you realize I was kidding about the autograph and going to see then in NY. I would kinda like a selfie though! (I've never taken a selfie in my life.) And I hope you realize a I'm not criticizing the boys themselves, just the possibility of them being exploited to their own eventual detriment.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Don't worry. I fully realised you were joking. That's why I added an emoji! And I'm sure all of us are concerned only for the boys' long term physical and psychological health.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Last night the prestigious Asia Society in New York awarded is 2018 Game Changer Award to the former Chiang Rai governor, Narongsak Osatanakorn. In his thank you speech in halting English, Khun Narongsak expressed his gratitude to all 10,000 who assisted in the rescue effort, Thai and international.
"I hope this experience inspires people to start living for others," said Mr Narongsak. "That would be a game changer for the world."
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... d#cxrecs_s
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I know there will be some who will regard this appearance on Ellen DeGeneris's show as exploitation. At first I feared it might be. But as the programme continues I changed my mind. The chance for the boys to meet one of their idols, the great soccer player Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and not only to see one of the LA Galaxy soccer matches but also attend a training session is another event that will thrill these young kids and that they will remember for the rest of their lives. Ibrahimovic told them -
"I thought I was brave, but these kids, this team, is more braver than me ... This is probably the best team in the world"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Whats next?.......Being part of the Trump circus?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

You beat me to it: I just saw this on YouTube and was about to post it. It"s pretty much exactly what I hoped wouldn't happen. And yet, they seem to be loving it, so what do I know anyway. I think I'll stop being so negative. I can't exactly say I've changed my mind, but I'll stop being such an old fart and simply continue to wish them the best.

P.S Have you ever heard of that soccer player? Do you think he's really their favorite or is he just the most prominent player the producers could persuade to be on the show? Here I go again.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

Undaunted wrote:Whats next?.......Being part of the Trump circus?
I wonder if they can sing and dance. BTS is so big right now another Asian boy band seems to be a sure thing.