13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: 13 Thais Missing during Caving Expedition

Post by fountainhall »

stkyricesf wrote:The news says 'it could take days or even weeks' go get them out? Just get 13 scuba diving suits, run a rope/chain from where they are to the exit. Days or weeks just seems way to long.
This is such wonderfully heartwarming news. How did these boys keep up their hopes and spirits to remain alive when each day they will have seen the water rising and knowing how difficult it would be for rescuers to reach them?

One of the many problems the boys now face is the state of their health. As The Nation points out this morning, apart from their weakness in not having eaten for almost 10 days, they are in danger of viruses from the bats and bat droppings in the cave. The Chiang Rai Governor reports that a special team of doctors and nurses has been assigned to each boy and their coach when they finally exit the cave.

As for getting them out, scuba suits is one way. But remember the very weakened state these boys are in. Once food is got to them they cannot just wolf it down to regain their strength. It takes days for the boys digestive system to get used to food again. They have to be rehydrated with saline drips. Just water won't cut it. Mentally each one has to be strong enough to get back into that water, be prepared to submerge with the constant fear that if he hits a piece of rock and the mask falls off, or if he accidentally loses contact with the diver leading him out, he could quite easily drown.

Having taken 10 days to find them, the authorities will not rush getting them out. And they will be prepared for all eventualities. Let's just be happy that they are all alive. Good news seems to be pretty rare these days!

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30349150
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

I apologize if I offended anyone when I gave my opinion on how to get them out. I was just not thinking. I just wanted them to get out as soon as possible. The idea of days or weeks just seemed too long for me, plus I read another rain storm was coming soon. I still pray there is a faster way of getting them out and with their families.
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

stkyricesf wrote:I apologize if I offended anyone
I doubt anyone was offended; I don't think you need to apologize. But it is a complicated situation.

From BBC News:

These skilled professional divers still needed several hours to get to the trapped group from the entrance, through tiny, debris-strewn passages and aided by round-the-clock water pumping efforts to try to clear the flood waters. And these boys are not trained divers.

Edd Sorenson, regional co-ordinator in Florida for the International Underwater Cave Rescue and Recovery Organisation, told the BBC the diving option is "extremely dangerous and hazardous", saying he would consider it "an absolute last resort".

"Having somebody in zero visibility that's not familiar with... that kind of extreme conditions, it's real easy and very likely that they would panic, and either kill themselves and/or the rescuers."
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

stkyricesf wrote:I apologize if I offended anyone when I gave my opinion on how to get them out. I was just not thinking. I just wanted them to get out as soon as possible.
I don't think you offended anyone, but getting them out is going to be a complex challenge. This is unprecedented and it's children, not adults, trapped in that cave. Even if they could wear wet suits and breathing tanks, they are a mile inside the cave and would have to make it through flood water, with currents, in their weakened and frightened state.

It probably would be simple if the flood waters would quickly recede to the point they could just walk out, but that's not going to happen and even more heavy rains are expected. What do you suppose would happen if they were trying to wade or swim out with breathing apparatus and right in the middle of the rescue attempt another flash flood occurs?

The rescuers are going to try to get them out in the quickest and least dangerous way. Now that they have been found, certainly no one wants to attempt to get them out in a manner that could still result in serious injury or death - not for the boys and not for the rescuers. Hopefully they will be ok until they come up with how to get them out safely - before more flood water comes in and rises above their level. They're not out of serious danger just yet.

I'm certainly not going to try to second guess the rescuers and how they're going to do it. But finding all of them alive and in as good a condition as could be expected is a miracle. I was hoping for that, but quite frankly I thought if they were found at all, they would have been dead. I have no idea how much longer they could have survived if they were not found.

So yes, getting them out quickly and safely is now the priority. We'll definitely be keeping tabs on the news to see how they're going to do it.

If nothing else, no matter how it goes I doubt anyone will be taking groups of children into caves again during rainy season. I hope they prohibit this sort of thing at all during any season. The coaches need to find something else to do with their teams other than cave expeditions.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It's unfortunate that the two main English language newspapers went to press before the rescue was announced and as far as I am aware no special editions were printed. The UK media cover it extensively with half page photos and stories on their front pages.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:half page photos and stories on their front pages.
The story in The Times is not quite correct. It says "Boys rescued." They have not been rescued - at least not yet. They have been found, but not yet rescued.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Rescuers seek 'totally safe' cave extraction for boys

July 3, 2018

The chief organiser of the successful search for 12 boys and their football coach said Tuesday that discussions are under way on the best and "totally safe" way to bring them out of the Tham Luang caves.

Chiang Rai province governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn highlighted the next obstacle for teams who had to hack and SCUBA-dive their way into the cavern where the Wild Boar football team were found.

"We won't bring them out until we find a totally safe way", said Mr Narongsak, who is officially in charge of operations at the cave.

Meanwhile, diving experts have taken food and rejuvenative mineral salts so the boys and coach can rebuild their strength after 10 days with almost no food or fresh water.

Mr Narongsak held a media briefing early Tuesday, less than 12 hours after he announced to the country the welcome news that divers had located the team members deep inside the Mae Sai district cave complex.

Thai and British divers found the boys at about 9.45pm Monday some 400 metres beyond the so-called Pattaya Beach area where many thought they might have taken refuge.

That area was actually inundated with floodwaters when the divers reached it, and decided to press on.

All 13 missing people appeared to be in good condition, with no illnesses or injuries, said Mr Narongsak, citing information provided by the Thai Navy Seals maintaining an actual base inside the cave.

Medical teams already have detailed information on each of the 13 people, provided by their families. Doctors had originally stated the boys and their 25-year-old Wild Boar football team coach could survive in the cave for up to a month without food, by drinking the flood water.

More details of the successful search operation are expected when the Seals return to the cave mouth. Possible options to bring the 13 people out of the cave will then be discussed, he said.

Until then, the divers have already provided the boys and coach with PowerGel, electrolyte-laced liquids, and pain killers and antibiotics if needed to sustain their health.

Mr Narongsak thanked the more than 1,000 people - foreign and Thai, in teams and individually - who had worked and helped to coordinate the rescue operation. He had special praise for the Seals, the nickname of the Royal Thai Navy's 144-man elite Demolition Assault Unit.

The team rushed to the cave and led the search for the missing people immediately after hearing about their disappearance.

He said he was grateful to the British, US, Chinese, Australian, Japanese, Lao and Myanmar rescue teams who helped, and even took the lead in some parts of the overall search operation.

"I believe today is the day we are all very glad to know that the 13 people are safe" he said.

"We, more than 1,000 members of the [entire] team - together we made history for Thailand and even the world," he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... n-for-boys
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

What a HUGE relief!

Be grateful. Be very, very grateful.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Those of you who looked at the graphics may have noticed that rescuers thought the boys might be in a cave area known as "Pattaya Beach." The rescuers made it to "Pattaya Beach" only to find it too was flooded out.

They decided to continue their search beyond that point. It's a good thing they did. If they had abandoned the search at that point, who knows if the boys would ever have been found, or found alive.

Search for alternative exits to rescue trapped team

July 03, 2018

Rescue teams will continue to search for alternative exits for the 12 footballers and their assistant coach as the only escape route through the cave is still flooded, a senior Navy officer said on Tuesday.

Rear Adm Arpakorn Yukongkaew, commander of the Navy SEAL Command, said the cave's main exit has several narrow areas that remained flooded and are impassable for anyone not trained in diving.

He said rescuers have given the footballers high-calorie gels to restore their strength and may attempt to teach them to dive.

Divers are expected to lead a doctor to the area to give the team members a physical examination later on Tuesday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30349195

Smiles reappear among lost boys’ classmates

By Sakaorat Sirima
The Nation

July 03, 2018

Students and teachers at Mae Sai Prasitsart School in Chiang Rai, the school attended by six of the 12 youths trapped in the flooded cave, were delighted to hear they’d been found safe.

School director Khanet Pongsuwan said on Tuesday everyone was now sending their best wishes for the football squad’s swift and safe extraction from the cave.

Khanet said parents of the six boys didn’t have to worry about their academic standing because a tutor would be assigned to get them caught up on their studies.

He extended everyone’s thanks to Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn and all the officials and volunteers participating in the mission.

Khanet said he had phoned the parents of his six missing students on hearing they’d been found and assured them the boys’ education wouldn’t suffer. They need to focus on the youngsters’ physical and mental recovery first, he said.

Mathayom 2 classmate Nitipat Pattanapat sang a song he’d composed, “Courage in the Darkness”, at a school assembly on Tuesday morning, prompting tears and smiles.

Smiles have been in short supply at the school in the past week as the cave search continued.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... l/30349200
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I am sure a priority for the authorities is getting a cable into the cave to permit two way communication with their families. Equally, if the boys have to spend many more days in the cave, I hope someone remembers they are all soccer players and love the game. A video cable and monitor, however small, so they can watch the remaining World Cup matches will, I am sure, boost their spirits.